All in one / Amp,DAC,CD player? +? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2010, 09:49 AM   #11
pipsk is offline pipsk  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Oh... yeah a preamp... it should pre amplify so it's logical. I don't know what did I think of when I was doing this. But does that mean that the amp is always running at max power? I will control the gain of preamplifier but amp will run at constant level without a pot. Am I right?

I don't know which DAC to use yet, because no one suggested me a better one but this one has a little switch, so I would exchange it for something that can go to front panel.
I think that it switches just between digital and usb but I don't know how the DAC switches between optical and coax... It doesn't have documentation there and their web page is broken mess.
Mini 1793 DAC kit [MIni1793] - $34.95 : hifidiy.net
Old 28th November 2010, 10:34 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

This amp just amplifies the line level input at a constant rate.
The volume pot suppressess the line level signal to listenable levels.
The preamp may add gain, which may be helpful if your DAC outputs at a low level.
The preamp will generally also act as an impedance matching device that will allow the amp and DAC to perform optimally. This may or may not be necessary, depending on the output impedance of the DAC and the input impedance of the amp, and maybe the pot size. This is the limit of my knowledge. Ask someone else WHY this is so.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:54 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I found the CD player it's Sony CDP-M33, unfortunately it doesn't have digital out but when I looked inside i found something that tells me the board was in fact done with digital out in mind... I don't know if i can make it work though
Old 30th November 2010, 08:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Oh dear. I fear that you will find it very difficult to get a digital output from this. I suspect that you will waste a lot of time trying to get a good result.

I fell into the same trap once and gave up (hence my advice). In the end I used the optical digital output (my player had this), and fed it to the same DAC that you are proposing to use. The sound was not good, and was not an improvement on the player as stock. Maybe the DAC was faulty, or maybe my power supply was poor???

I still have this DAC. I can send it to you for free if you want.

I suggest that you look for a second hand Philips Cd723. It would be a better starting point. They can be found on ebay for as little as 40$. Where are you based?

Click the image to open in full size.

Read this review: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/cd723_e.html

Last edited by dublin78; 30th November 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:15 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'll connect it up to my old amp and see if it can do something. It has opt out marked on the pcb but it's missing a few transistors diodes, caps, and the output terminal itself. But without schematics I think it's no go. I'm from Slovakia I can mail you my adress
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The player I have is no go. I will order the transformer for amps when I get the dimensions from factory, hopefully tomorrow and then order the T3's I still haven't decided for the CDPlayer. The panasonic is pretty cheap but everything I found so far is UK only. We'll see. Can you suggest some good quality 2 position switches? (for switching outputs, terminals and inputs)
Old 6th December 2010, 11:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I've ordered the amp output plugs and the transformer. What do you suggest as internal wiring? I need some cheap good and available cable.. I also need some input selectors, 2 position switches and rotary switches, I've got 50$$ left of my budget money so I think I'll go without the CD player if I won't find one really cheap.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Rotary Input Selector Switch 2 pole 6-way on eBay (end time 24-Dec-10 20:13:02 GMT)
Old 6th December 2010, 01:02 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Internal cables: Just use single core OFC copper, and twist it together. See mine. This is fine for the digital signal too, unless it is over 9cm long - then use coax.
Old 7th December 2010, 07:11 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Should I add mains on/off switch after mains socket?

Is this cable ok?
22 Metres single core insulated wire 2M x 11 colours on eBay (end time 26-Dec-10 09:07:06 GMT)

Hide this!Advertise here!