Hypex UcD180HG HxR or 400HG HxR ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've asked myself the same question. Nothing obvious in the specs so I was thinking the 180; cheaper, still plenty of power, and probably a more favorable disposition to typical listening powers. Decided I like the idea of DIY with the ADAU1592 better though, so it's unlikely I'll be getting any amp modules from Hypex.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The Hypex stuff is pretty darn expensive, but anyway... I got a nice deal and have ordered two UcD180HG HxR and a 180W switched PSU. :)

Will be interesting to see (or hear.....) how it compares to the ICEpower ASX2 modules that I currently use in my system.

ICEpower is not an option for you DIY people though, B&O dont sell them to individuals. Too bad, since they are really good and very easy to work with.

Hi Jan-Peter,
I live 10 minutes away from Dynabel, and was there last week. They offered me to loan a UcD 400HG HxR. I just didnt have money for a deposit then :)
I will buy the modules from them soon, but i asked them about the housing/casing to put the modules in. They don't have any. Found some alternatives outside Norway, but if i can find something in Norway i wouldn't mind :)
If you buy for more than €25 from abroad there is VAT, and also a lot of shipping costs.

Btw, I'm norwegian, but partly dutch and I always have keen eye for everything dutch, from sports to of course amplifiers ;)

Espen

I ordered my modules from Dynabel in Oslo.

Casings are pretty expensive to buy from Norwegian dealers, so me and a friend bought 20 pcs from Italy (Modushop.it), very nice and cheap.

It's so far my best choice too. Though I'll manage with two. Hopefully i can fit three modules and two SMPS in a 430x300mm box? Alternatively 400mm deep. If thats not enough then i could split them up in more cases.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The casings we bought from modushop.biz was "Galaxy Maggiorato GX388 330 x 280 mm". They are 2U heigth, you'll need that since the PSU is too tall for a 1U chassis. If you mount the UcD modules and the PSU at the side profiles for cooling, it should be possible to fit two UcD 180 and a 180W PSU at each side, for a total of 4 amplifier channels in one chassis.

I built my 400HG amp in a 2U case from modushop. The one without the big heatsink provides good enough cooling. I can recommend the alu top/bottom if you want extra cooling. It also looks better. Also the 10mm frontplate looks very nice for a little extra money but is a bit more work to drill holes in.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Got them up and running now, currently driving the tweeters in my active speaker system. There's nothing wrong with their sound, to say the least. Very very good.

An interesting observation though: When I was level matching it by measuring the acoustic output at the speaker, I found that they are 2 dB lower in level at 20 kHz than the ICEpower 125ASX2 I have used up until now. That's a lot! I have no explanation why really.

Got them up and running now, currently driving the tweeters in my active speaker system. There's nothing wrong with their sound, to say the least. Very very good.

An interesting observation though: When I was level matching it by measuring the acoustic output at the speaker, I found that they are 2 dB lower in level at 20 kHz than the ICEpower 125ASX2 I have used up until now. That's a lot! I have no explanation why really.

That's funny, due to our post-feedback with UcD we do have a flat frequency response in any load. The ICEpower modules has a mixed feedback, the frequency response is only flat in one fixed impedance. Most likely likely your impedance is rising so with the ASX you will have relative more output signal.

We have the -3dB point at 35kHz, at 20kHz you will have -0.5dB.

Jan-Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
That's funny, due to our post-feedback with UcD we do have a flat frequency response in any load. The ICEpower modules has a mixed feedback, the frequency response is only flat in one fixed impedance. Most likely likely your impedance is rising so with the ASX you will have relative more output signal.

We have the -3dB point at 35kHz, at 20kHz you will have -0.5dB.

Jan-Peter

I have not checked if any of the two amps are "off", so I dont know whats really happening.

The load is a Mundorf AMT, which is almost purely resistive at 2.9 ohms.

Anyway - its not a problem for me, the response difference is easily fixed with EQ.

This thing is interesting because it may shed some light on one reason why amps sound different. We have the same issue at both end of the spectrum with tube amps, the "worst" example I've measured was 6 dB down at 20 kHz.... no wonder the sound was "warm"....

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Is there any way for you to post some pictures from inside the cases? I'll be doing the same amp in the same cases and it will be my first attempt to put together an amp :)

EDIT: Glad they sound good btw.

They are not in cases yet, just a simple hook-up to try it out to begin with. Will post pictures later when I get it finished. I'll try to fit four UcD modules in one chassis, and two SMPS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.