Hypex UcD180HG HxR or 400HG HxR ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex UcD180HG HxR or 400HG HxR ?

I'm thinking of building a stereo amp with either of these modules, just for the fun of it. Is there any significant difference in sound quality between the two?

I will be using Hypex' own switched PSU in any case.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've asked myself the same question. Nothing obvious in the specs so I was thinking the 180; cheaper, still plenty of power, and probably a more favorable disposition to typical listening powers. Decided I like the idea of DIY with the ADAU1592 better though, so it's unlikely I'll be getting any amp modules from Hypex.
Old 20th November 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Hypex stuff is pretty darn expensive, but anyway... I got a nice deal and have ordered two UcD180HG HxR and a 180W switched PSU.

Will be interesting to see (or hear.....) how it compares to the ICEpower ASX2 modules that I currently use in my system.

ICEpower is not an option for you DIY people though, B&O dont sell them to individuals. Too bad, since they are really good and very easy to work with.
Old 20th November 2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, super easy. Connect AC, connect signal and you're ready!
Old 20th November 2010, 04:29 PM   #5
lurer is offline lurer  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Stig Erik,
I'm too buying the same modules as you. Which casing would you use to house the modules?
I have found some alternatives, but importing anything to Norway is expensive.

Espen
Old 20th November 2010, 04:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Dear Norwegian,

You could also buy our products by our Norwegain deale in Oslo, please contact dynaBel AS

Regards,

Jan-Peter
Old 20th November 2010, 05:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan-Peter,
I live 10 minutes away from Dynabel, and was there last week. They offered me to loan a UcD 400HG HxR. I just didnt have money for a deposit then
I will buy the modules from them soon, but i asked them about the housing/casing to put the modules in. They don't have any. Found some alternatives outside Norway, but if i can find something in Norway i wouldn't mind
If you buy for more than €25 from abroad there is VAT, and also a lot of shipping costs.

Btw, I'm norwegian, but partly dutch and I always have keen eye for everything dutch, from sports to of course amplifiers

Espen
Old 20th November 2010, 09:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I ordered my modules from Dynabel in Oslo.

Casings are pretty expensive to buy from Norwegian dealers, so me and a friend bought 20 pcs from Italy (Modushop.it), very nice and cheap.
Old 20th November 2010, 09:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I ordered my modules from Dynabel in Oslo.

Casings are pretty expensive to buy from Norwegian dealers, so me and a friend bought 20 pcs from Italy (Modushop.it), very nice and cheap.
It's so far my best choice too. Though I'll manage with two. Hopefully i can fit three modules and two SMPS in a 430x300mm box? Alternatively 400mm deep. If thats not enough then i could split them up in more cases.
Old 21st November 2010, 10:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The casings we bought from modushop.biz was "Galaxy Maggiorato GX388 330 x 280 mm". They are 2U heigth, you'll need that since the PSU is too tall for a 1U chassis. If you mount the UcD modules and the PSU at the side profiles for cooling, it should be possible to fit two UcD 180 and a 180W PSU at each side, for a total of 4 amplifier channels in one chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!