Hypex UcD180HG HxR or 400HG HxR ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, can't see what else it could be, really. Which is a bummer, as it means the modules are pretty much useless.... :(

Edit:
Hooked them up to my Klipsch RF-82 rears, and I can still hear slight hiss when up close, but even at three feet the hiss is all but inaudible. There is only a 4dB difference in sensitivity, unless the klipsch sensitivity is really exaggerated.

Last edited:
Im going to ask some very beginner level question. I never built an amplifier, so i am not completely familiar with all of this.

I am considering to build a power amp in the future using 2 UCD180Hxr modules.

1 .Wich one is better sound wise, the Ucd Supply Hg or some of the SMPS units?

2. Wich one is a better choice, using one bigger transformer like Transformer400/501/700 or 2 smaller gives me a better result? (Or maybe 2 from the bigger ones?)

3. How many softstart module do i have to buy?

If i buy 2 amp modules + transformer(s) + power supply(s) from hypex shop,together with the necessary cables, rca/xlr/power/loudspeaker connectors/binding posts , push button, on/off switch, spacer that is enough to build a complete amp with a case, or i still need to build/buy something else to make it fully operational?

Sorry if these questions bothered anyone. Thx in advance!

Peter

Just reviving this thread - I have UCD400s which I'm trying to connect up. I may later try the UCD180

One question - I have an older UCD400 - Rev 1.0 Serial 0045. It has three white JST connectors on the PCB (modern versions have different connectors).

Can anyone using the older modules tell me where I can get JST connectors for this (e.g. Farnell - I'm in the UK) and what their exact model numbers are? Or any other means you found to make connections?

Andy

Here's the UCD400 version I have, showing the connectors required:

Attachments

• UCD400Ver1.0.jpg
    UCD400Ver1.0.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 772
Anyone on the differences in the PSU's?

I, like Peter above - aka kajtarp, am looking into these hypex units to replace my chipamps as I flat out need more power to drive my full-range Avebury system.

Cost does play a factor, but for the time being, lets take that out of the equation for now.

I am looking into both the UcD 180 and UcD 400. The 180 just squeaks in there for what I need for Peak Power based on the findings of the test I took from this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

I am considering the 400 just for a little more headroom.

My main question is in to reguards the different PSUs and the H2R regulators.

If I was to go with the H2R regulators, wouldn't the Hg supply be better? Maybe more dynamic power availible? It seems the SMPS unit is overkill here?

And while I am at it, how would the HG version sound with the Hg supply?

As I understand PSU's from building my chipamps and believe me, I am no electrical engineer, so feel free to sluaghter what I am about to write - that, yes, the SMPS delivers a steady, stable voltage, but if the amp calls for a little more, the SMPS will not deliver. On the other hand, the Hg supply can deliver a little more when called for, but can vary on output voltage depending on how stable the mains is. It seems Hypex has good options iwith both styles...

So what is the advantage and tradeoffs to the different PSU's in reguards to these amps and the sound they produce?

I can run the UcD180HG off my current supplies from my chipamps, although they will not produce full power @ 34 volts.

You are welcome to refer me to another post or thread if this is explained else where. It is possible I missed something!

Thanks,

Allen

A thread summary in reguards to PSU sound?!?

I am sure there are others, but these are the ones that stood out to me:

As you all well know, sound is a very subjective thing :D

My first experience with the SMPS at the A/B amps were in the same direction - lots of details (besides well contoured lower notes).

As much as I like it (and the additional effects it creates in stage / image) - at a longer listening now I noticed that it comes with a trade in regarding "elegiac behaviour" that I love so much.

As for the technical side, I suspect that this comes from specific regulation properties of the SMPS - after all its a feedback controlled device - that give a way more complex "answer" to current demands than a simple linear PSU.

That such minor differences play a subtle role in perception of flow and detail I came across when realizing that the inrush limiting thermistors (at the primary of my linear PSU I used) did overlay an additional sonic pattern that was not noticeable at a first glance.

I try to trace those effects down at the moment and have a look if I can tune it in the direction I like (will see if the upcoming Connex SMPS will perform any better from scratch too)

Michael

elegiac? as in mournful? I am quessing you are hearing something subtle and indeed very relavent. It is the subtlies that are very important during the long listening sessions.

I found my amps to sound even more transparent and explosive with the MeanWell SMPS than my big active filtered linear supply. Class D amps seem to respond well to the fast regulation. I hope your sil pads are cool enough. A better cap should smooth out the highs. I have tried the Clarity SA. They are ok. Similar to the Obbligato copper which are a good price. I like the super transparency of the Dayton foil but they are hard to get outside the US.

I have read quite a few other threads in the class-D forums, and it seems this is a personal preference. Most claim to notice no diference at all between a well designed SMPS or a well designed Linear PSU. So the key thing here is buying or building a well designed PSU. Most people seem satified with the designs offered by Hypex...

So if I was to take money into consideration, based off what I have read, I am better off buying two SMPS (dual mono) and applying what I save there to buy the HxR models, which does improve the sound. (yes, I realized I put H2R, above, opps)

I am also looking into the HiFimediy T4 boards also. People seem to be liking them. I am concerned that they do not have their measurements on their website, as Hypex is very open about this.

Allen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.