Linear vs SMPS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2010, 11:02 AM   #1
steveww is offline steveww  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Linear vs SMPS

I have decided on which class D amp modules to use now the question is linear or SMPS?

My main concern here is audio quality. Both approaches have their own challenges as far as noise is concerned. The smaller size and cost of the SMPS are tempting but will this be at the expense of high frequency noise escaping in to the rest of my system?
Old 15th November 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

If you are interested in SMPS designed for audio, drop us an e-mail to info@coldamp.com
Old 15th November 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww View Post
I have decided on which class D amp modules to use now the question is linear or SMPS?

My main concern here is audio quality. Both approaches have their own challenges as far as noise is concerned. The smaller size and cost of the SMPS are tempting but will this be at the expense of high frequency noise escaping in to the rest of my system?
Hi,
If you are interested in SMPS designed for audio but want performances/noise and current burst as big toroidal/big capacitors, then see audiopower.it DPS-500.

Regards
R.P.
Old 15th November 2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Here you can find a broad range of SMPS for audio, most of them soft-switched, low EMI high efficiency, compact size Connexelectronic
Old 15th November 2010, 04:13 PM   #5
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hypex makes great SMPS, well designed for audio purpose. I have used SMPS180 with the modulator positioned in very close proximity to the input audio signal line, and no audible noise was detected (compared to audio signal line in different location far from SMPS). I was quite impressed.

My biggest concern with using SMPS for audio is not the EMI, but the failure mode of the supply. How will it's complex circuit hold up to the test of time, capacitor aging and such? The supply must also have safe disconnection from the amplifier in any failure mode, to protect everything downstream (amp, speakers). Another thing to consider is the repair process if the SMPS does fail. You will very likely end up simply replacing the SMPS as a module, while a linear supply is very simple, can be repaired quite easily.
Old 15th November 2010, 05:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

buy mine! buy mine!
Old 15th November 2010, 05:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default I still miss someone with I-I, ME-ME, MY-MY

Old 15th November 2010, 05:59 PM   #8
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Eh,eh,eh!!
Others good smps for audio??
Old 15th November 2010, 06:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My vote is for linear sorry to spoil the party...
Old 15th November 2010, 07:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Could someone point me to an article about this debate? I've just started looking into using a class-d amp and dont have an extensive electronics knowledge but somehow the linear strikes me as the better design for sound-quality (just a gut feeling, simply because there are less components - maybe a naieve one).

I am looking to build a six channel amp and am trying to get my head around the power supply requirements of it..

Regards,

Jai

Hide this!Advertise here!