is THD+N in class D amps HD or noise limited?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems to be the same problem that we have had for many years; we have no good way of measuring sound quality with other equipment than our ears.

I have not seen anyone quantify "good sound" to specs that we can measure as designers... we will test stuff like THD+N, IMD, TIM, crosstalk and so on, but only to see that nothing is completely wrong before we go disturb the golden ear that has to approve our design.

\\\Jens :)

Agreed completely -- so long as the "golden ear" doing the listening/approval doesn't know which they're listening to when they say how wonderful it is compared to something else, in other words double-blind testing.

Ask yourself how many such tests have been able to reliably spot differences between cheap and hyper-expensive cables, assuming both are electrically adequate ;-)

(clue: as far as I know the answer is a binary number and isn't 1)

Ian

P.S. Unless anyone knows better...

It seems to be the same problem that we have had for many years; we have no good way of measuring sound quality with other equipment than our ears.

I have not seen anyone quantify "good sound" to specs that we can measure as designers... we will test stuff like THD+N, IMD, TIM, crosstalk and so on, but only to see that nothing is completely wrong before we go disturb the golden ear that has to approve our design.

\\\Jens :)

Agreed completely -- so long as the "golden ear" doing the listening/approval doesn't know which they're listening to when they say how wonderful it is compared to something else, in other words double-blind testing.

I always thought, I would have well trained ears. But they are just silver.
John Westlake has golden ears.
Remember my Rookie amps. One chanel MosFet, the other bipolar.
John just went once from left to right and told me which one was the MosFet version :eek: and I had not told him which way I had wired them to the speakers. Two years later after I had moved back to munich, just as a side senteces.: 'Oh hm - here you have wired the MosFet to left side..'
I checked and yes - he was right. :Olympic:
Ok after he explained the key difference I am now also able to detect, but I have to concentrate and listen a while.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.