Simple little Class-D modules (V-MODULE VMA2015)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If anyone is interested in more details, take a look at THIS datasheet. The VMA2015 contains a MAX9703, and the VMA2016 contains a MAX9704. I got this information direct from V-module.

I have THIS dual VMA2015 evaluation board on order from Deal Extreme and will be back with more details when it arrives.

Regarding theAnonymous1's comment on the VMA2015 not being a serious Hi-Fi contender, I guess it depends how a person defines 'Hi-Fi', but the datasheet for the MAX9703 clearly shows that the device can deliver up to 7W RMS into an 8 Ohm load from a 20V supply with less than 0.05% THD+N at 1kHz, and it stays below 0.2% up to 13Watts RMS under the same conditions.

The frequency response isn't actually quoted in the datasheet, although an A-weighted noise figure is given between 22Hz and 22kHz of 97dB in FFM mode (which is what these modules use) relative to 10W into 8 Ohms, so I'd call it Hi-Fi personally, assuming it has a full 20kHz bandwidth. :)

Last edited:
I guess the value-for-money perspective depends on where a person's looking from, and whether or not they can deal with 32-pin TQFN packages at home.

As will be true for many of us, I have no way of directly soldering to TQFN packages, and the only supplier I can find here in the UK selling the MAX9703 to the public is Farnell (although there may be others) who charge far more per device when you include P&P than Deal Extreme charge to supply and ship the V-modules over here from Hong Kong.

As it's both cheaper and more convenient for me, I fail to see the problem. ;)

Last edited:
Paid to DX for VMA2015' evaluation board yesterday, now is awaiting. Wanted a pair of separate chips, but all of them were had sold, and no arrivals of sbj came for a month.

Curious information of MAX inside. :) But I have no this position at local sellers. TQFP can (may, must) be soldered with ORDINARY low voldage soldering iron - that is no problem at all.

I have never sold QFN, but I believe there are not any dramatic differencies between QFN and TQFP - in both cases we have visible pins (partially visible in case of QFN).

Main trick here is proper quantity of solder on the tip of soldering bit - in order not to make shortenings between neighbour pins; right geometry of soldering bit and right flux (I prefer ordinary colophony - the cheapest, the best and true NEUTRAL non removeable flux for almost all microelectronic purposes)... Good eyes, good non-tremoring hands and good magnifier are welcome as well.

As of bottom central (heatsink) pad of QFN - it may be soldered from the rear side of your PCB through little hole by filling latter's channel with solder untill it contacts the rear copper... Some extra heat of soldering bit may be necessary.

The another (and legal) way for all mentioned above - hot air or infrared soldering technologies. They have their own pluses and minuses from DIY's point of view...

I got it yesterday. Still have no time to open. I hope tomorrow I'll go to my folks' garage and test it on full-size (appartment style) 8 Ohm loudspeakers. As pwr supply probably will be standard 12 V auto accu. No measurement (no facilities there); just collective listening and then conversation.

To be continued.

Mine arrived too! :D

I've only had the chance to run mine from a 12V SMPS so far as the 20V SMPS I ordered at the same time is out of stock. No serious listening tests have been carried out here yet, but it's delivering a maximum of around 8 Watts RMS per channel from 12V and sounds clean enough to me up to the point where clipping sets in.

The plan is to squeeze it into a Hammond 1593 project case with a volume control and a big smoothing cap, and I'll try to remember to post a picture or two when it's complete. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.