Arjen Helder's 2050 boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a pair of Arjen Helder's 2050 boards. I was very pleased with my 2020 Mk III's. I''ve tried the Sure Electronics 2050 (2 channel) and had a very good experience with them though at comparable volumes Arjen's 2020 Mk III's sounded better to my ear.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about what people have tried with the 2050's. Is it worth it, instance, to go full dual mono with the power supply?

Thanks Chlorofille. I'm looking forward to comparing Arjen's version to the Sure (though they may have changed their board yet again) and maybe one of these days I'll find someone near me (Northern California) who has one of the Virtue Audio amps.

It's interesting that Arjen went mono with this one. It's more expensive, but it may actually be more flexible particularly if I want to go with long interconnects and minimal speaker wire. I assume that it'll help with channel separation and s/n.

which one is more value for money? arjen tk2050 or hidimediy's? such a pain in the *** to choose

I'm in the same situation, don't know yet wich one to chose.
I want use one of these amps with fostex FX120's. The price for hifimediy is much lower than arjen mono boards with tk2050. I would one or the other with smps to. But is not a matter of price, its a matter of being adecuate for the fostex's and good sound too.
I would apreciate any suggestion, as for me the technical info and designs are impossible to understand. I would buy arjens because of the price thinking that its better, but may be not suitable for foste fx120's with 8ohm and 89db.
In another thread they sugested me to look one of these tk2050 in non-paralleled, given the specs and load of my speakers.

power supply

for now, I'm likely to use a switch mode power supply for a Hewlett Packard Printer (don't remember the model), but they're roughly 30 volts and 4 amps. It's mostly because that's what I have though. I haven't tried the Meanwells.

The 30 volt HP's have sounded pretty good with the Sure Electronic 2050 board. There was a very noticeable difference between 30 volts and 22 volts fwiw.

Juanito and Jtjy,

Arjen's board is more expensive but the layout is cleaner. I am using his new TK2050 to power some current hungry 4Ohms speakers using 22V supply. They can drive them very well, with great bass.

The Meanwell SMPS is a perfect match with the amps, with no noise at all from the speaker. Even at 5cm from the cone.

As for power concerns with your Fostex speakers, don't worry at all.
Your speaker will begin to distort before the amp does. The little FX120 will not like to be pushed beyond 20 watts.

If you do get one, you could be the first to write up a review between the boards =)

I'm trying to get intouch with arjen and ask him if his amp is designed for 8 Ohm loudspeakers. To me (and not nowing about designs and components) Arjens boards looks nicer. BUT IM NOT AN EXPERT and that's why I'm here at this forum asking. With Arjens boards plus his SMPS he recomends, plus a Alps volume pot and shipping could be arround +110 Euros. Hifimediy could be 70's EU. If Arjen's board is worth and is suitable for Fostex FX120 8 Ohm load, then I would probabilly buy it.
I believe that both boards are great, but I want the one that it's more adequate wich sometimes is not the most expensive. I was told that a non-paralleled amp pairs and sounds better with 8 Ohm speakers. At Hifimediy there are two amps for diferent speakers and the 4 Ohm amp is paralleled... at Arjen's there is no distinction.
PLease let me know what you think.
Thanks
Bye

That would be ok, but the Meanwell SMPS is better. You can ask Arjen to order it in for you specially.

Arjen's board does 50W into 8Ohms max, and 100W into 4 ohms.
Probabably overkill for your fostex's but anyway it's up to you which board is preferred. I only have Arjen's board so I cannot comment on hifimediy's TK board.

I am curious as well. I have the Helder 2020 MKII, but I want to step up to more power because I am using it in a large room. I have been looking at the HiFimeDIY 2050 only because the small footprint will allow me to swap it out into my existing chassis. If I go with the dual mono boards, I will have to buy another chassis. It may be worth it, but a good review will help in my decision making process

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.