Arjen Helder's 2050 boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm already doeing the case for the TK2050 boards!!
Can't wait to hear this thing with my new fostex FX120.

Can any one tell me how to cable the boards to the SMPS, and also the boards with the volume pot?
Sorry for that, I know it's very basic, but my knowledge in electronic is 0. I can only do if it's "plug and play". I did once a Gainclone and the instructions were very easy to follow, but none with Arjen's. I know it's only a few cables, but still, I woudn't like to ruin the whole project.

Interesting this last thread about the buffer...

Hi,

At US$80 per channel is not really a bargain, in fact a little expensive. I have Sure Elect. and HiFiMedDiy TK2050 both are very well priced. I really cannot blame him because he is running a business.

Those who can wait the price from this TK2050 from Arjen will drop over the next few months. BTW I would not be purchasing them.

Hi,

At US$80 per channel is not really a bargain, in fact a little expensive. I have Sure Elect. and HiFiMedDiy TK2050 both are very well priced. I really cannot blame him because he is running a business.

Those who can wait the price from this TK2050 from Arjen will drop over the next few months. BTW I would not be purchasing them.

and why it will drop? any idea?

Hi,

I think its $80 for 2 channels/monoblock...

2 pcs,Brand New MKI TK2050 mono block class-D amplifier - eBay (item 250703816384 end time Oct-24-10 08:32:42 PDT)

uh

I like Arjen, so I'm a bit biased, but there's a simple reason his 2050 boards cost a little more. The quaility of construction is higher, the layout is more thoughful, the quality of parts are better (compare the coils on Arjen's board to the coils on the Sure) or look at the build quality of the circuit board itself. I think Arjen and his design partner also take more time with the process. He's also around to answer questions. My experience with another Chinese company wasn't bad, but the language barrier was terrible and they simply stopped answering questions after a point, so I had one amp with a faulty power supply and a second that turns off intermittently due to a picky protection circuit.

I bought 2 Sure 2 channel boards and I'd probably try HIfimediy's some time when I want to include a volume control. They both appear to be great deals, but that doesn't mean that Arjen's stuff isn't a very good deal for what you're actually getting. I really like the Sures btw, but out of the box the Helder sounds much better.

I've spent my years looking for rock bottom prices. It took me a long time, but I slowly learned that it's not always the smartest thing to do especially when dealing with an overseas supplier. One issue with buying direct from Asia in the US is that if something goes bad, the cost to send the thing back is a significant percentage of the cost of the product. I trust Arjen and Stacy at this point and he participates on this board. I'm happy to support his efforts and I think their product is very fairly priced.

Virtue Amps have a solid reputation of good sound, well the Arjen TK2050 boards bit them, i have both, they are really good. i'm just waiting for sonic caps to implement a high pass filter and used them for powering the highs of my Monitor Audio GS 20's with 2 SLA 12 Volts batteries.

I watch Arjen products in the past like any new product after a while the price will drop.

mmmm... that's not always like that. Actually, when these audio products become popular and there is a big boom, it usually tends to increase prices.
I wouldn't be so sure that in a few months the amps go down in price. It could, but...
Many audio products listed in TNT audio web site is an example how they change prices, some times double!

mmmm... that's not always like that. Actually, when these audio products become popular and there is a big boom, it usually tends to increase prices.
I wouldn't be so sure that in a few months the amps go down in price. It could, but...
Many audio products listed in TNT audio web site is an example how they change prices, some times double!

There are already many amps in the market and Class D amps are no exceptions, ie the market is saturated with amps. On initial product introduction usually the vendor charges higher prices for good reason, then as time passes by the prices will gradually come back to normal pricing possibly 5-20% drop depending on the quality and demand of the item. This is the normal course of life cycle of the this kind of product, there are always exceptions.

Hi,
Okay for those who have been doeing these amp boards. It's very easy question, but it's the first time I do an amp like this with smps. I did the gainclone from audiosector with toroidal, and with the instructions was quite strait forward.
This is very simple aswell for many of you, but I'm not sure 100%
As you can se in the picture the smps has 7 screws wich are numbered from left to right (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7)
1 and 2 go to the mains, "to the plug"

3 is ground

then there is 4 and 5 wich are under "COM COM"

and finally 6 and 7 wich are under "+V +V"

I guess 4 5 6 and 7 go to the boards. So should it be 4 and 6 that would go to one board and 5 and 7 to the other?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another question would be the cableing between the boards the alps volume pot and the RCA's terminals. I'll post the picture as soon as posible.

THANKS in advance :snail:

here is the picture. I think it's not posible to see in the other thread.

Attachments

• smps.jpg
    smps.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 313
Hi Juanito,

Get your voltmeter out, set it to DC and measure those voltages across those screws first. Adjust them using your adjustment pot to 27 volts. Make sure both read like that before you toast the amp boards. Although the boards will not come on above 35 volts or so and will work down to around 10, you want to make sure you are feeding them what Arjen recommends, if I remember it is 24-30 VDC.

This will help with the vol pot, just split out the signal to each separate monoblock:

Attachments

• pots vol.jpg
    pots vol.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 325
Hi Juanito,

Get your voltmeter out, set it to DC and measure those voltages across those screws first. Adjust them using your adjustment pot to 27 volts. Make sure both read like that before you toast the amp boards. Although the boards will not come on above 35 volts or so and will work down to around 10, you want to make sure you are feeding them what Arjen recommends, if I remember it is 24-30 VDC.

This will help with the vol pot, just split out the signal to each separate monoblock:

Thanks whaleman for the picture! I remember this now when i did the gainclones with volume pot Noble.

I think that th smps came already seted from Arjen. I bought it together with boards, and the smps pack was opened to test it before shipping. I 'll ask
Arjen.
Btw, and I think is very simple, but connections from smps to boards??

You are better off figuring this out yourself, I know Arjen is very busy. All you need is 2 wires positive to positive and neg to neg from the SMPS to the connector labeled power on each board. This connector is between the blue Elna capacitor and the input connector, I think. "Power" will be written on the board at the base of this connector. It does not hurt to check your voltage even if it appears that someone set this for you, 27 volts DC is ideal.

thanks whaleman,

I wanted to make sure that screws 4 and 5 are the negatives and 6 and 7 are the positives. I't looks obvious through the picture, but not sure. I don't have a voltmeter, so I don't kow.
The screws in the amp board I know wich is wich. That's okay. The screws at the SMPS :confused:
I should get a voltimeter, but I've never used one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.