Case for Helder's TA2020 MKIII Amp Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, I am ready to pull the trigger on the kit, but coming up zero on cases. I need a case and the volume & selector knobs. I'd like to assemble the kit in one made for this setup, but only coming up with nothing but blank projects boxes.

Can you guys steer me to an eBay or US seller?

Thanks.

Arjen has indicated in the past that he is quite close to releasing a MKIII unit in a finished case. I know it has been a chaotic year for him, but I am beginning to doubt that this project will ever come to fruition. Maybe he will comment so some of us that have been waiting can get off the fence and finally make a decision.

Arjen, are you out there?

For the nice looking case in Ebay, I read this:

"Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges.
These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.
Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying."

How much could a US buyer expect to have to pay, if any?

Do you think my power supply will fit? No! just kidding.

This is my "hack" spare parts power supply for my T amps. The transformer can deliver 50 amps at 12 V! The rectifier bridge is over 5 amps, the filtering caps are 12,000 uF each @ 80 VDC surge, the only choke point is the in-line regulator on the CPU heat sink at 3 Amps. The orange drop .1 uF cap is suppose to help transients response (according to the spec sheet).

My TA2024 amp draws about a max of 500 mA at almost full volume on some bassy transients.

Have I noticed a difference between it and the laptop power supply that came with it? Yes, very subtle but very nice, better bass and better airy extension of the highs, but again, very subtle. Worth the effort, but maybe not worth the cost of the parts.

Anyone have a case to recommend for it? :D

This is like fitting a V12 engine in a Smart Car.

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,073
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 570
The case is 20.3 x 14.5 x 6.9 cm.

The pcb is 11 x 7 x 5 cm

The smps is 11 x 8 x 3.6 cm

Appropriately placed, the pcb + smps occupy 15 x 11 x 5 cm

Clearance on the side is 14.5 - 11 = 3.5 cm

Clearance front to back is 20.3 - 15 = 5.3 cm

Clearance on top is 6.9 -5 = 1.9 cm

It's tight but I think it will work. If I made a mistake it's already been shipped so I'll use it for something else. The Taiwanese case has 1 cm vertical clearance, hope that isnt a problem.

I have a tube preamp (also a headphone amp) , so I will try using that and wont be buying the tube buffer initially. I use it with a Charlize t-amp and it sounds good

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.