Which Class-D amp? (No kits)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm looking forward to build some computer speakers and need a nice, small amp for them (& if its good for my fullrange hifi-speakers, too :) ).

Here are so many threads about kits, increasing the quality,... but which "pre-build" Amp is the most recommended?

I've found the Topping TP20MkII and the Hlly T-Amp20 so far (the Topping costs about 60Euros, die Hlly slightly more). Are there any others to put on my list? It should've the TP2020,if possible no screw-connectors and the price should be as low as possible, too ;)

Thanks for your help :)

Greetings from Germany,
Mark

I'm wondering the same thing, seems like the Topping is the best bang for buck, but I think it really depends on your speakers. There are alot of threads that cover these T-amps on ebay, and some people pointed out the missing EMI filters, or a 100hz roll off etc. If your speakers / setup isn't affected by these weak points, it could be a good cheap solution.

The 100hz roll-off can be fixed by replacing die capacitors to 2,2µF as far as I know!?
Now I found the Muse M20 which looks very similar to the Topping TP20 but costs only half of the price of it...
It's not so easy to find a reasonably priced T-Amp, almost all have some issues =/
An auction of the Hlly T-Amp20 is ending tonight, I think I'll try to catch it. The on/off-Switch on the back isn't such a serious problem for me..

Mark, I just bought the Muse M15 EX (ta2024 chip) from eBay for less than 20 USD. They are in China, and there is a Youtube video with someone playing some clips on the computer. Not sure how it will sound, but I will let you know when I get it. Can't go wrong for less than 20 dollars. I will try them on the speakers in my signature link. The are almost 98 dB efficiency.

Less than 20USD sounds good. I'm looking forward to your review of it :)
Hope these amps are enough for the PC-Speakers (they have like 84dB efficiency or so).

My Visaton Solo100 fullrange-speakers have 88db, but 6ohms impedance - can I use the Class-D amps with them, too?

The chip amps put out more power as you go towards 4 ohms, so yes you can.

I hope you get better speakers than PC speakers. Mission MS-50s are on ebay for under $50.

I bought an SMSL Amp-03 a couple of months ago after much looking and am very pleased with it, and needing no mods. I just bought another. They are on there now for $30 shipped.

Received the Topping TP20 MK2 today. At first the sound was pretty nice, much better than the Pioneer A717MkII which I'm using at the moment, but then on my "big" speakers there was some noise. Sometimes the noises' volume is very low, barely hearable but then again its very loud - what can be the reason for that? The cheap original power-supply? Or is the problem in the amp itself?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, it could be a number of things.

1: Is it there if no input is connected to the amp?
2: Can you plug the power supply in somewhere else and listen?
3: Is there a buzz if your source (or preamp) is connected but unplugged from the power?

We are looking for ground loops or maybe an external source of buzz.

Got the Muse M15, very nice, no issues with noise whatsoever. It is very clear, detailed, and the highs extend very well. It can sound thin with large speakers and this is not a surprise given the output. I am building a power supply with spare parts (24,000 uF! power reserve) and a new in line regulator to keep things at 12V. I have at least 5 amps available. This is supposed to give the music some body. Overall, a very good buy. I am scoping out the TA2020s next. I would rate my Muse in the very good + build quality. Only issue I have is that it has an M20 faceplate and it is an M15.

I have a Muse M20 EX with a ta2020 chip inside. I use it with a meanwell 13.8V 4A power supply.

The only thing I can say is that it sounds very, very well. It drives a set of wharfedale diamond 8.4's with a fairly low sensitivity of 86DB. Still the Muse M20 is going strong, with great clear sound and good low's. The volume is more than enough for my small room.

I really recommend the device. It is completely free of any noise that we don't want.

I have a Muse M20 EX with a ta2020 chip inside. I use it with a meanwell 13.8V 4A power supply.

The only thing I can say is that it sounds very, very well. It drives a set of wharfedale diamond 8.4's with a fairly low sensitivity of 86DB. Still the Muse M20 is going strong, with great clear sound and good low's. The volume is more than enough for my small room.

I really recommend the device. It is completely free of any noise that we don't want.

very helpful comments.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.