IR2113 - good driver IC for a first project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was searching for some nice high voltage mosfets on the site of a local electronics store and suddenly my eyes fell on something else. There said: IR2113PBF - $3.44. I didn't know they carried those... :D

So what i want to know is whether it's a good driver IC for my first class D project. I want to use TL494 for PWM, and outputs will be IRF530s for initial testing, then whatever high power FETs i can lay my hands on. Now i also have a 'scope so things should work out nicely.

What do you think? I'm aiming for 250W/8-ohm or 400W/4-ohm. I'm still unsure of the TL494, if you have a better idea let me know.

IRS2092 seems like the way to go for a first time project ... haven't tried it, but it takes few components to make a working design, and you get lot's of help in the data sheet and AP notes ....

Don't go for the TL494 .... it's not directly intended for class-d and there will be a lot of things to consider ... haven't really seen any good designs using that!

IR2113 or IR2110 is also a good choise, (use IR2110 myself) but it requires a separate modulation stage ... which gives freedom of design, but takes a lot more practice and knowledge to make work ....

You'll se a lot of designs her where you will be able to get sound through, but it will not be HiFi .... noise, distortion at higher freq, stability, EMI etc. ...... it takes a lot of time to make it really work as well as say an good AB amp! .....

But go for it ... it's also quite fun :)

Regards Baldin :)

The IRS2092 looks easy to use but i hate ordering stuff from abroad even if it's from trusted companies like Farnell or TME. I found the IR2113 locally, so i'll buy a few and see what i can do with them.

Building a discrete modulator doesn't look like too difficult of a task. Maybe harder than class AB but i've had it with those things that don't do much else than generate lots of heat, and in this place extra heat is the last thing that i need. I'll have all summer to burn anyway so might as well learn something useful.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the result :)
Go for it
/Baldin

PS. Just got my own design (OP275, MAX913, IR2110, IRFB5620) up and running in stereo. (Built into an old Yamaha surround decoder)

Attachments

• IMG_7883 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7883 (Medium).JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 457
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.