Need help, reparing amp. with unknown diode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need advice.
Repairing Rodek 1kw class D monoblock.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Two diodes from picture where burned out and it s not possible to recognize model number.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like some kind of protection of IRFP264, connection is between: diode cathode to drain and diode anode to source

When replaced with 1N4148 looks that everything else is working fine but they pass away immediately after increasing volume :)
Please advise what type of diode should I buy to replace.

Thanks,
Greetings from Croatia
Miha

Hi:

They are ultrafast diodes, you must measure voltage between drain and source of each mosfet with an scope(dont forget to have your scope unearthed or isolated from mains, after that you can use the right model based on maximum voltage read, if voltage is lower than 200 volts you can use MUR120 or equivalent, if voltage is higher you can use MUR160 (600v) or equivalent. I doubt seriously about the practical effect of any diode in parallel with the intrinsic diode inside the Mosfets without any added circuitry but at least your amp will return to its original status again. Anyway your amp must work exactly the same without those diodes for sure.

Hi again.

Any abnormal behaviour at your load or output filter can kill those diodes as they are small, if your mosfets survived I think that the other components on board must be OK after the diode failure possibly caused by a sudden output voltage rise beyond the rail voltage due to the inductive nature of the filter and load. Clamping seems the main reason for them to be there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.