My latest TPA3106D1 40W mono boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The thing that really amazes me about these boards is how cool they stay. The inductors don't heat up at all and the entire board only gets slightly warm when playing near full volume for long periods of time.

These are my favorite pair so far. I've given up on the TPA3122D2; it requires extra circuitry for bridging and just isn't as good in many respects. It was fun experimenting with it though.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi Pano,

I made these myself. I "borrowed" the TI logo from one of their PDFs using a PDF editor. I hope they don't mind. :eek:

I'm glad you popped into this thread though. I was thinking of letting someone else audition these so I can get a second opinion on how they perform. Interested? :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I'd love to. Right now tho I'm not running a passive crossover, so can really only listen to them from about 500Hz up (horns) or 500Hz down (Altec woofers) Not sure if that meets your needs. Oh wait, I do have some nice floor standers that could test them.

Nice work on the PCB. I thought it looked home made, but the nice TI logo on the corner had me confused. ;)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Jeebus, those are small! Quite an awesome little build. How do you think they sound compared to other lower-powered class D amps you've used?
Edit: yikes, those THD+N plots from the TI datasheet don't exactly look stellar... At least to this noob. :D

Last edited:
Yes, I'd love to.

Great, just PM me your addy then. Give me about a week or so so I can find an enclosure to put them in so they are easier to handle

How do you think they sound compared to other lower-powered class D amps you've used?

Heh, that's what I need Pano for. :eek:

I can only tell when there is some obvious flaw in the sound. I can pick out things like lack of bass (or lack of control), high noise floor, extreme sibilance, and high levels of distortion. Things like "resolution" and "soundstage" just get lost in my brain somewhere.

All in all, I think these sound great. Definitely no lack of bass, and with the lowest two gain settings the noise floor seems lower than the "T-Amps" I have.

yikes, those THD+N plots from the TI datasheet don't exactly look stellar... At least to this noob. :D

THD is more complicated than just a number. You can't say an amp will sound bad just by the THD specs. Go look at the THD numbers for tube amps. ;)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
THD is more complicated than just a number. You can't say an amp will sound bad just by the THD specs. Go look at the THD numbers for tube amps. ;)
Right, I get that. Since we don't know what type of THD or N is influencing the plot most, we can't make assumptions on how that might relate to "sound." People tend to "like" tube distortion, whereas the output devices in these sorts of chips are tiny FETs, right?
But just as a quick apples to pears comparison, looking at the long time favorite TA2020, the TPA seems a bit wacky in the THD+N/frequency plot.
Just an observation.

Regardless, I admire your work.

Attachments

• TA2020.jpg
    TA2020.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • TPA3106.jpg
    TPA3106.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,078
Post the PCB layout?
Thanks.

It's not a traditional layout and there is little chance it will even be useable for you. If you are even going to attempt to use it, I would take a very close look at the pics I posted to see what I did.

A few important things to note:

1) There is a wire jumper across the IC to join the PVCC pins.
2) There is a 10nF cap soldered directly across pins 10 and 12
3) Pin 8 needs to either be physically broken off or bent above the pad
4) I did not solder the thermal pad of the IC to the PCB. I used a VERY small amount of thermal grease under it. The IC and board run extremely cool, so this seems more than sufficient.

Attachments

• TPA3106D1_TT.zip
    426.7 KB · Views: 227
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.