UCD 25 watts to 1200 watts using 2 mosfets

Hi lycanlk ,waiting for your solutions. Thank you in advance. Hope this will help us a lot.

hi friends,

the toroid that I used was slipped and broken into pieces in an accident.. hahahaha I'm waiting for a new. and I'm planning to mount the PCB to an aluminium plate..

I used a low-pass filter (for my subwoofer) but the noise is same. So I guess its switching noise in my case.. I'm not a genius in the subject.. but I haven't give up testing it further.. don't afraid for experiments.. even if you fail then you'll know that the way it wont work :)

I remember a famous quote "if you fail 1000 times then you'll know there are 1000 ways that doesn't work"

regards,
Lycanlk

Africa(Kenya) my friend everything is MIA :spin:here only google, facebook, yahoo and well DIY exist LOL, plus the lots of con artists!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wanna :bulb:hook me up with a genuine affordable one(wink wink, nudge nudge)???

In my SMPS, i wanted to use IGBT but i had to stick to the IRFP460 coz they are the only ones available here:(, not to talke about the stress i have with Class D out put inductors:rolleyes: i have to stick to old pc SMPS or buy ETD cores for tvs(bummer!)

The only advantage am grateful for is that we have access to old junk, like pcsmps/pc monitors/printers/copiers and ups.

i get to see alot of modules especially for 2kva smps. I wanted to try out the ferrite core founding flyback former as class D output inductor because they'r quite many here . By chance i get alot of ETD cores too, but i have to go thru the struggle of removing them

Africa(Kenya) my friend everything is MIA :spin:here only google, facebook, yahoo and well DIY exist LOL, plus the lots of con artists!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wanna :bulb:hook me up with a genuine affordable one(wink wink, nudge nudge)???

In my SMPS, i wanted to use IGBT but i had to stick to the IRFP460 coz they are the only ones available here:(, not to talke about the stress i have with Class D out put inductors:rolleyes: i have to stick to old pc SMPS or buy ETD cores for tvs(bummer!)

stewin!

Please clue me up! What is MIA? Hook up with what? What is tvs?

Output inductor is not so hard to make. The worst ferrite material is good enough if it's big, just make a big (2-4 mm) airgap in it, and keep some distance between wire and airgap. A toroid ferrite with many small air-gaps is even better. Stranded, PVC isolated wire is enough (better then solid wire), litz wire is not neccessary (however this would be the best).

stewin!

Please clue me up! What is MIA? Hook up with what? What is tvs? ).

MIA (missing in action), hook me up with a good genuine affordable link to access the components , lastly tvs (television cores are the ones which are sold brand new. they come wound up so if i were to use them as output inductor , i would go through the stress of unwinding them & separating them from the adhesive so i prefer the used ones quite cheap:cool:).

thanks andrew for starting this thread . i,ve finished mounting the strip board version ;) of the amp i've added a preamp and a crossover circuit for the sub. i'm just from testing it with a 15"top and a folded 18" horn "chinese 8ohms" driver . will send pics of amp later on.
i wanted to bridge the bass channel but i was too curious to test this simple monster amp :D for the same reason i used micrometals t106 26 at 232 uh. at least it's heat was managable i.e 52turns 2mm wire . i wish pafi you posted earlier i could have tried to make the suggested air gap in the core. BTW pafi which program can do the calculations if you add a gap?

anyways i used a 1500va 40 - 0 - 40 ac troid former, 4 pcs 10,000uf x 63vlts capacitors instead of using of irfp250 i used irf540 which were more than amazing because of the power they delivered . they were very loud ,stable,cool and powerful until i was afraid of the outcome if i had made extra channels to bridge.
i used one moderate heat sink and a fan "because i,m used to ab:D " to my suprise with all that power and loudness the sink did not even warm i was very surprised because at those levels were it ab with double the heat sink it could be hot not even warm.
the noise was present if i add the volume that is if i use small signal . but if i use high volume at mixer and reduce amps volume no noise . when volume is set at the minimum i did not hear any noise at all .
at extreme loud the mid channel produces a small tweak or small funny noise i guess it's because of the output inductor i'll use small etd's cores for output inductor next time.
the sound quality even at high levels is very very very good
when iturn it off produces a pop sound after some seconds
i don't have measuring equipment can some one pls tell me what power i was operating pls :confused::confused:
but the amp and its power and simplicity is a good amp i my opinion. Thanks again andrew and all the diy ers for this thread

hi stewin
greetings nice to know your amp is working are you using irf540 in output i have
them which is better irf 250 or irf 540 can you post pictures of your wired up amp iam still
having problem with my amp just refuses to come on still trying your feedback is very helpfull i was reading this thread 5 strand wire on output inductor reduced heating u can try
thanking you
andrew lebon

the amp is nice and the power was amazing . i used irf540 because i was using low voltage but i am planning to use irfp250 once i get another power supply or once i repair my full bridge switch mode which has died on me . any way i haven't made any modification on the circuit except changing c10 (100p) to 2.2nf which reduced noise in my case . i will post pictures later stewin

hi stewin
greetings nice to know your amp is working are you using irf540 in output i have
them which is better irf 250 or irf 540 can you post pictures of your wired up amp iam still
having problem with my amp just refuses to come on still trying your feedback is very helpfull i was reading this thread 5 strand wire on output inductor reduced heating u can try
thanking you
andrew lebon

IRF540N :- 100v Id 33A and Rds 0.044 ohms
IRFP250 :- 200v Id 33A and Rds 0.085 ohms
IRFz48N :- 55v Id 64A and Rds 0.014 ohms

So IRFP250 generates more heat than IRF540N (less Rds generate less heat) but you can increase the rail voltage than others (keep a good margin for safety). you can select any of those (and there are more, follow data sheets) based on your supply voltage/desired output power/load impedance (4 ohms or 8 ohms)

hi lycanic
greetings tried the amp no output with supply in series with 100 watt bulb
nothing heating up when i disconnect 220 supply on touching input sounds like amp till
condensers are drained supply is 20 0 20 ac even tried irf 540 any suggestions or voltage
test points hoping you can help no amp has given me problem like this one wanting to
finish it
thanking you
andrew lebon

andrewlobon,
your post is not that clear to me as well.. The amp should work without any trouble. (except the noise which I couldn't sort out yet).
Recheck 2n5401 pins. I have seen there are two types of those in the market. may be, collector and emitter has to be swapped. Just Follow the schematic and place it right.
check zener vlotage in each rail (3.0 to 3.3V).
post a clear picture of your completed amp.. so we can find out any visible mistakes.

regards,
Lycanlk