Tripath and heavy loads/big speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2010, 08:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Tripath and heavy loads/big speakers?

Hi there

I'm quite green in this area when it comes to digital amplification as my experience is only limited to Lyngdorf's so I would appreciate if you could help me out a little bit.

The story:

My fathers Denon stereo (POA 2800 & PRA 1500) have now, after 15 years of true service, finally shown their age and he's now seeking a new amplifier to make his JBL Studio Monitor 4410's again. His living room is 60m^2 but he rarely listens to music at high volumes so he doesn't want an expensive and beefy amplifier. He has looked at new and 2nd hand gear, e.g. from Rotel, Unison, NAD but I suggested him to look at digital amplification as you get great performance for little money.

His speakers, the aforementioned JBL Studio Monitors 4410, are relatively easy to drive; sensitivity 90 dB SPL (1W, 2.83V @ 1m), 8 ohms nominal impedance. However, I'm afraid that the 10" LF would be difficult to control with a low powered Tripath amplifier. What do you guys reckon?

Do you have any experience with driving "big" speakers with Tripath amps? Am I being too optimistic with my choice of amplification for the 4410's?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Old 24th April 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
gooki is offline gooki  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopoliticus View Post
I'm quite green in this area when it comes to digital amplification as my experience is only limited to Lyngdorf's so I would appreciate if you could help me out a little bit.

His speakers, the aforementioned JBL Studio Monitors 4410, are relatively easy to drive; sensitivity 90 dB SPL (1W, 2.83V @ 1m), 8 ohms nominal impedance. However, I'm afraid that the 10" LF would be difficult to control with a low powered Tripath amplifier. What do you guys reckon?
ClassD is not digital amplification.

I see no problems using a good low powered ClassD amp on those speakers.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a Hlly T-amp 90,which I think is an excellent amp.It has no problem driving my electrostatics,which dip to 2 ohms or so at one point,so I think it'll drive those speakers no problem.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
I have a Hlly T-amp 90,which I think is an excellent amp.It has no problem driving my electrostatics,which dip to 2 ohms or so at one point,so I think it'll drive those speakers no problem.
I don't think he's talking about the ability to drive low impedances. Sound likes he's talking about damping factor (whether he knows it or not).

Electrostatics are a relatively "light" load in this regard.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes I'm aware of that.It does show that the amp has the ability to drive more difficult loads though,so should have an easy time with the JBL's I think.
Old 25th April 2010, 08:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have used a couple of different Tripath amps and I am currently using the Sure 4 X 100W board to drive my OB's. these are a benign load really, but they are a total of 4 X 15" bass drivers and 2 X 8" mid / treble FR's. The Tripath has NO trouble at all here and I am sure if I had the bottle to do it I could blow the windows out with this set up. I have yet to feel a tripath lacking using several different speakers.

(Hi Ali)

Old 15th May 2010, 11:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Update:

I borrowed a Virtue Audio One (MKI) from a dealer where I reside. I'm thoroughly impressed how this little amp can control the JBL 4410 studio monitors. At higher listening levels I experience some uncontrollable bass but my living room is also a freakish 60m^2. I'm using it with the 30v/90w PSU (standard PSU with this model is 24v/65W).

I'm going to try a Virtue TWO.2 also, just to see if I can squeeze more out if this design.

At $449 (Two.2 retail price), I can't see anything come near it. But I'm not that familiar with Class-D amps (yet) so are there any other amplifiers I should look into?

Cheers
Old 15th May 2010, 12:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have just finished a modified ta2024 project for my son and tried it with my home made seas speaker which are a 8ohm 2nd order 3 way with 10" woofer and was quite supprised at how well the 15$ amp could drive them to a decent volume. It is true that I could hear the bass a little less controlled than my usually more substantial amp but if your only driving them to moderate levels it shouldn't be a problem. It can drive the mid and tweet to high levels with no issue though.
Old 15th May 2010, 10:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopoliticus View Post
Update:
I'm going to try a Virtue TWO.2 also, just to see if I can squeeze more out if this design.
the TWO is great - and even better with better power supplies. You will not regret the extra investment. Look for example for their partner products line:
Virtue Audio. We make audio lovers audiophiles. Better sound by design.
Old 16th May 2010, 02:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
the TWO is great - and even better with better power supplies. You will not regret the extra investment. Look for example for their partner products line:
Virtue Audio. We make audio lovers audiophiles. Better sound by design.
Do you think it's worth to go for the TWO.2 instead of the ONE.2? As far as I can see, they're able to deliver the same amount of output/power to your speakers, depending on the PSU.

I'm not sure if I can hear any difference if I pick the TWO. The TWO costs nearly $100 more but I think the big difference is in the power supply.

What do you reckon?

Hide this!Advertise here!