MUSE MU-40 - TA2022 based amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
TCx is offline TCx  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Default MUSE MU-40 - TA2022 based amp

Hi,
I am new to this forum and quite new to class D amps too. I have read various opinions on sound quality provided by class d amps. I want to experiment with diy boards but first of all I would like to get some personal listening experience with this kind of amps so I prefer to start with finished amp and then possibly experiment...

I have found MUSE MU-40 TA2022 based amp on eBay. It seems to be pretty similar to Hlly Tamp-90 in most aspects. The main difference is probably in PSU - MU-40 has switching PSU. And MU-40 is cheaper ($149).

If anybody here has any experience with this amp or knows if it is good (mainly in terms of sound quality) I would appreciate your sharing. Also recommendations of other good amps of this kind and price level are welcome.

Thank you.
Old 26th April 2010, 05:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody has any experience with MUSE MU-40? It seems that I will have to become a quinea pig myself... :-D
Old 27th April 2010, 01:40 AM   #3
mfong is offline mfong  United States
diyAudio Member

I do know that they used virtually the same ad text as the Hlly-t90. I'm assuming it's just another version of Hlly.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfong View Post
I do know that they used virtually the same ad text as the Hlly-t90. I'm assuming it's just another version of Hlly.
Thank you for your reply, mfong.
However, I don't think so. Hlly TAMP-90 has linear power supply / transformer, MU-40 has switching PS. Also their PCB's have completely different designs and used components.
So although they have very similar appearance and specs, they can be quite different sonically.

I am looking for a well sounding amp of this class. It's a bit difficult because only Hlly TAMP-90 has been discussed quite extensively on this forum and my impression (coming from reading of the discussions) is that it is not perfect - at least its older versions.

If anybody bought TAMP-90 recently, please let us know if all earlier reported problems (hiss, etc.) are gone.
Thanks!
Old 27th April 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to hllyelec
New HLLY Version has resolve the problem of hiss problem, so no hiss sound exist for the new TAMP-90 amplifier, Now some other china manufacture also developed amplifier based on TA2022 chips but they are not successful, because TA2022 need good PCB design skills!

Muse AMP is NOT HLLY products!

Thanks
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:28 PM   #6
lufrey is offline lufrey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCx View Post
Thank you for your reply, mfong.
However, I don't think so. Hlly TAMP-90 has linear power supply / transformer, MU-40 has switching PS. Also their PCB's have completely different designs and used components.
So although they have very similar appearance and specs, they can be quite different sonically.

I am looking for a well sounding amp of this class. It's a bit difficult because only Hlly TAMP-90 has been discussed quite extensively on this forum and my impression (coming from reading of the discussions) is that it is not perfect - at least its older versions.

If anybody bought TAMP-90 recently, please let us know if all earlier reported problems (hiss, etc.) are gone.
Thanks!
Hi, did you end up getting the HLLY TAMP-90 or the Muse MU-40? I just purchased the MU-40 and looking forward to trying it out. Yes, it does have a SMPS rather than the traditional linear PSU. It also seems to be cheaper than the HLLY amp, so I'm curious and hoping at the same time that there is not too much additional noise with the use of a SMPS.
Old 4th October 2010, 06:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi, I bought AMT2050 V2.0 amp board from hifimediy and SMPS and built an amp myself, after reading many positive opinions on that amp board. And I like its sound very much.

Please let us know your experince with Muse MU-40. I am still curious...

Hide this!Advertise here!