TA2020 - feeding clean regulated 5V for input stage - anybody tried that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

Anybody tried to feed he 2020 or 2021B with external clean, regulated
5v on V5D, V5A instead of feeding the internally generated 5V?

The 5V will supply the input stage. Perhaps something can be gained with
a low noise regulator hooked up at these legs!?!?

Perhaps it is even worth to think about separating V5D and V5A.

Any opinions/experiences?

Cheers

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/77520-my-ref-t-amp.html

The major difference between this board and others is in the implementation of the power supply. There are 4 separate external regulators for the various supply inputs on the chip. One TO220 size regulator for the output stages of each channel, one TO220 size regulator for the analog driving stage, and one SOT223 size regulator for the 5V input section. Interestingly enough, Tripath was kind enough to let me know that certain supply pins are "weakly" connected internally, so large voltage differentials between the supply pins could result in current flowing through the weak connections and having them blow like a fuse. This could damage the chip but I'm going to build one up anyway and see what happens! My gut feeling tells me that nothing will happen if I use quality regulators and the output voltages are set very close to one another.

Yes i have tried this and is very well worth it, without getting into detail the sound is simply better in every way, particularly the bass and sound stage depth. All i did was arranged a regulator board close to the ta2020 amp using 317t reg,2700uf pany .01uf film pre reg filt, 330uf nichicon kz output, 100 ohm,300ohm for resistors. I just cut trace to pin 30 5v gen, and feed external reg to pin 2 or 8 there connected at the board use ether one and pin 3,7 for gnd.

Attachments

• P1010053 (1136 x 852).jpg
    P1010053 (1136 x 852).jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 194
I just completed the 5v regulated supply modification, as Cicotte mentioned, it doesn't make a dramatic change to the amp, more subtle.
The board is a modded Helder MkIII, I fed the -Ve to pin 3, I cut the leg off of pin 30 and soldered the 5 volt supply directly to the leftover bit of leg.
The components for the regulator board I had laying around, the Muse cap's are probably a bit of an overkill! if nothing else it was an interesting soldering exersise :)

Attachments

• IMGP1982.JPG
    IMGP1982.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 141
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.