Arjen Helder Buffer V2 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2010, 01:52 PM   #11
rhing is online now rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Loud pop on start-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero One View Post
I have now had some time to listen to the buffer and amp combined and must say it is a sweet combination.

One thing worth doing is to bypass the output caps on the buffer if it is only going to feed the standard amp module. Having done this I found the bass was improved and the whole set-up gained a little more detail.
I followed this advice, and I get a very loud pop on start-up. In the eBay ad for the tube buffer, it states:

"Due to too much POP noise when starting the PREAMP, we have replaced the input capacitors to 2.2uf."

First of all, I thought the 2.2uF caps on the V2 buffer board were the output caps, not the input caps. Should I put the 2.2uF caps back in place?
Old 15th May 2010, 09:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich
The output caps are the large red ones, they can be removed if the buffer is feeding into a module that has input caps on it. You must have a cap somewhere either on the amp module or on the buffer.

Basically with both output and input caps in series you roll off the bass more.

I have no problems with big pops but there will always be a small pop, it was the input caps for the buffer they replaced with a smaller one, there is no need to replace that.
Old 16th May 2010, 03:38 PM   #13
onis_uk is offline onis_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i have mine all set up now, on power up the speakers are kind of sucked in and slowly return to the middle and i get a very loud pop when i turn it off .... hummm
Old 16th May 2010, 05:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I measured the DC voltage on my speaker outputs of my TA2020MkIII amp with the MkII tube buffer. On power up, I read -2.4V on both channels. It starts to decay to about +8mV in about 10-15 seconds. The first time I powered up, it sent the T-amp into fault mode. On second power up, I got the same surge, but the T-amp remained on. I can't make any adjustments on the DC bias pots to bring the DC as close as possible to 0mV. After the initial surge on the second power up, I plugged in some cheapie test speakers and I have decent sound out of both speakers. I am very concerned that I cannot use this product with my T-amp, which is a shame, because I really wanted to further improve the excellent sound quality I get from my T-amp.
Old 16th May 2010, 08:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onis_uk View Post
i have mine all set up now, on power up the speakers are kind of sucked in and slowly return to the middle and i get a very loud pop when i turn it off .... hummm
I turned the amp off and I get the really loud pop too. Does anyone have any ideas on eleiminating/reducing this pop on turn on and turn off?
Old 16th May 2010, 09:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

i hope so, ive emailed arjen and he doesnt even know (
Old 17th May 2010, 06:27 PM   #17
Frenger is offline Frenger  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I've got the same problem of the loud pop. I hope someone knows how to solve it.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Arjen has emailed me to inform me that he's working on a solution. I'm not sure how the solution will be implemented (another PCB to buy). For now, I can't risk damaging my speakers with -2.4V DC on turn on. I haven't measured the turn off DC voltage, but the pop is louder.
Old 18th May 2010, 05:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhing View Post
I turned the amp off and I get the really loud pop too. Does anyone have any ideas on eleiminating/reducing this pop on turn on and turn off?
with this konfiguration I think itīs best to connect speakers after turned on and disconnect speakers before you are going to turn off the amp.

So let the amp always ON. Itīs also better for receiving immediately best performance without any warm-up
-----------------------
But another newbee question from me regarding the way from the cinch sockets of my CD Player to the V2 buffer amp:
how to handle with the black mass cable on the board which is shared from the right and left input together ? Cinch outputs have for each channel the separate mass contact and if I am not wrong itīs the outer ring which is mass, or ?

Last edited by TheDealer; 18th May 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 18th May 2010, 06:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

yes it will be another pcb that cuts the speakers off with a relay and to be honest i haven't got the room in my case for another pcb plus i dont really want another pcb in the signal path ....not too happy (

Hide this!Advertise here!