Coldamp Sonora?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coldamp have a new series of class D items called Sonora, two amp channels and a switching power supply in a fairly compact chassis. First one claims 2 * 300W into 4 ohms or 600 bridged into 8.

On paper, this looks like a good thing for driving a sub. Power supply gives +-12 as well, handy for a Linkwitz transform or other EQ. Not cheap at 367 euro, but it might be worth it.

Anyone have actual experience of these? Or alternatives to suggest?

Hello all.
Due to an increase in production batches (it is surpassing our expectations and we are receiving very good feedback) we have been able to reduce the prices of Sonora Combo. So less "ouch" from now on ;-)

Still EUR366 including shipping to UK for a 2x300W/4ohms module.

Or for EUR385 you can buy a well-reviewed ready-built 2x530W/4ohms amp which will also drive loads down to 2 ohms and has a 3 year warranty:

PEAVEY IPR 1600 - U.K. International Cyberstore

I know which I'd choose ;-)

Ian

Yes, of course you can get cheaper things out there. We know we don't sell the cheapest amplifiers, but we are talking about high-end equipment, not normal PA or disco gear.

According to the reports I've read -- from home audio users as well as pro audio -- the IPR1600 *is* high quality. The low price is basically down to volume production in the Far East and relatively low margins, since they expect to sell a lot of them.

AFAIK whether your amplifiers are better or worse quality than this is unproven ;-)

Ian

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.