New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pop can well be solved by using the right input capacitor, but I am not going to further dig into that because this has already been discussed a million times....

All I can say is you should stay well away from the barrel sized high voltage junk.

Another way is to properly sequence the speaker relay, this doesn't really solve the pop, but just make it harmless....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhG9JjTRjJY

Last edited:
Pop can well be solved by using the right input capacitor, but I am not going to further dig into that because this has already been discussed a million times....

All I can say is you should stay well away from the barrel sized high voltage junk.

Another way is to properly sequence the speaker relay, this doesn't really solve the pop, but just make it harmless....

YouTube - Tripath anti pop turn on/off circuit for SLEEP and MUTE

I thought that T1 & T2 from hifimediy have anti on/off pop included onboard already :confused:

I've been reading quite a bit over here on last times, but only enaugh to let me decide to assemble my first diy amplifier (my electronics knowledge was 0 before that, and only a little bit more now, sorry)

Can you explain this: "All I can say is you should stay well away from the barrel sized high voltage junk."...

I thought that T1 & T2 from hifimediy have anti on/off pop included onboard already :confused:

I've been reading quite a bit over here on last times, but only enaugh to let me decide to assemble my first diy amplifier (my electronics knowledge was 0 before that, and only a little bit more now, sorry)

Can you explain this: "All I can say is you should stay well away from the barrel sized high voltage junk."...

Hi, the t1 and t2 have anti pop relay's. Maybe something got damaged when you connected GND wrong.? can you hear the relays click now?

Hence my statement 'properly sequenced'.... The relays themselves don't prevent the pops, it's the timing/delay circuitry... (see my video)

The relays should click on later than the amp unmutes and click off before it mutes... The circuit on the breadoard there in my video can do that at a single flick of a switch. In the circuit that is attached it doesn't sequence a speaker relay though, but the SLEEP and MUTE pins directly. This doesn't always work well, but with a relay added it should be 100% fail safe....

The T1 and T2 boards should have pretty similar circuitry on the board, but I don't know these amps at all....

Do the Wurth coils run hot on the T1? I have read that they run quite warm on the Sure board.

Sorry to be so long replying, been gone for a while.

No, the Wurth coils on my T1 are no warmer than the heatsink nearby. The area between the output coils and the heatsink is the warmest on the board. I noticed this before the coils were changed and the trend has duplicated itself with the Wurth's.

I did run my T1 w/the Wurth's full range for a while before they were relegated to mid/tweeter duty and the coils were not noticeably warmer then, either.

No problems at all for me with this mod, all good.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so long replying, been gone for a while.

No, the Wurth coils on my T1 are no warmer than the heatsink nearby. The area between the output coils and the heatsink is the warmest on the board. I noticed this before the coils were changed and the trend has duplicated itself with the Wurth's.

I did run my T1 w/the Wurth's full range for a while before they were relegated to mid/tweeter duty and the coils were not noticeably warmer then, either.

No problems at all for me with this mod, all good.

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like an interesting and relatively cheap experiment. I like the fact that the T1 runs significantly cooler than the T2(I have both) and would not want to add a lot of heat to the board. I may give the Wurth's a try and see if I can detect any improvement in an already good sound quality.

It's all a fight within the margin, want some big improvement get some BIG iron powder toroid inductors and see the idle current go down as well as the overall quality go up.

I can hear some tooth grinding going on:"But that is expensive!"....."But that won't fit on my board!"

stock-vector-bearded-man-face-with-evil-emotion-one-from-the-series-easy-to-edit-and-transform-layered-35022244.jpg

Heck yeah!....

Hi,

I have a (probably stupid) question.

Is it possible to optimize the input sensitivity of the T2 board for iPod/iPhone devices?

The manual says:

2.2 Audio input connection
The input impedance is 50KOhm.
The input sensitivity is 1V. A normal CD player or DAC output will
normally provide sufficient power to drive the amp to its full output
power. An ipod or portable audio player might not supply enough
power to drive the amp to its maximum output power.

Is there a simple workaround or do I have to use a preamp?

Thanks

Double gain

You can change R3/ R5 to 40k to double the gain in the front of the amp. Or, changing R1/ R4 to 10K will do the same thing.
Hi,

I have a (probably stupid) question.

Is it possible to optimize the input sensitivity of the T2 board for iPod/iPhone devices?

The manual says:

Is there a simple workaround or do I have to use a preamp?

Thanks

I would definitively NOT double the gain. This would create serious risks of damaging the amp!

eladmi : the amp will work well with an iphone. I used it with an HTC android phone for a while. You way not get full power out of the amp due to the limited output of a phone, but anyway who uses the full power given the distorsion at full level ?

you may :
1. just use it with the phone as source an be happy.
2. jaillbreak your phone to enable higher output level
3. use a preamp
4. go with T4 which has higher gain (and higher voltage power)

BTW, input sensivity of tc2000 is 1.5VRms

Double gain no problem

The Sure 2X100 has switched input gain which can provide unity, +6db, or +9db in the input circuit as I have recommended. Many users choose to run +6db based on sound even if they can also achieve a loud listening level at unity. It is proven to work well. No problem. Just don't forget to turn the volume control down when changing sources. If you leave the volume control wide open and connect a loud source, you can blow the amp regardless if you mod the input or not.
I would definitively NOT double the gain. This would create serious risks of damaging the amp!

eladmi : the amp will work well with an iphone. I used it with an HTC android phone for a while. You way not get full power out of the amp due to the limited output of a phone, but anyway who uses the full power given the distorsion at full level ?

you may :
1. just use it with the phone as source an be happy.
2. jaillbreak your phone to enable higher output level
3. use a preamp
4. go with T4 which has higher gain (and higher voltage power)

BTW, input sensivity of tc2000 is 1.5VRms

Nonsense, this won't by far damage the amp!!

The 20K/20K gain setting is pretty standard and you can freely triple or quadruple the gain with still barely risk of damaging the inputs.

Off course best thing is to measure (or loop up) the output level of the phone/MP3 player and then calculate the correct gain level to make the output swing to the full voltage.

You can also use step-up audio transformers to increase the level.

You can off course add a preamp, but this is the least easy way t achieve higher output.

If you are scared to damage the inputs you can always use diodes to clamp the inputs to max 5Vpp. This is a pretty simple circuit to add which ensures the input can not be overdriven...

for information

Highest Voltage Output (source : http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/)
Ipod headphone jack : 2.84 Vp-p,
Ipod line out jack : 2.94 Vp-p
Typical component CD player Line Out : 5.76 V-p
an Ipod output is 1Vrms where a typical consumer audio device is 2Vrms

The gain V/V of the amp is (for the right channel) :
R5/R4 * (R15 + R11) / R11

to increase gain, increase R5 or lower R4 ?
SURE seems to lower R4 on their board. They add 22K resistors (0,1,2 depending on switch) in parallel to the existing 22K input resistor on their board.

I would suggest you do the same : if you want to double gain V/V, solder a 20K resistor in parallel to existing R4. And to R1 for left channel.

Either way

Either way works the same. I prefer higher than 20K values for both resistors based on listening even though I run 1:1
for information

Highest Voltage Output (source : Connect your Ipod to a Stereo)

an Ipod output is 1Vrms where a typical consumer audio device is 2Vrms

The gain V/V of the amp is (for the right channel) :
R5/R4 * (R15 + R11) / R11

to increase gain, increase R5 or lower R4 ?
SURE seems to lower R4 on their board. They add 22K resistors (0,1,2 depending on switch) in parallel to the existing 22K input resistor on their board.

I would suggest you do the same : if you want to double gain V/V, solder a 20K resistor in parallel to existing R4. And to R1 for left channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.