New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excellent,

My Caps are standard 35mm with 10mm snap-in lead pitch. Will they fit OK?

Also, I have a TA3020 based board that I power from a 35-0-35v toroidal transformer, it doesn't have speaker protection. Will your PSU board work with that?

cheers,
col.

Hi, I don't think T3 PSU can be use directly, unless your TA3020 is BTL mode.
For input caps, I think this picture will help.

Attachments

• input caps size.PNG
    input caps size.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 799
So I wanted to buy the T2, but want the slightly better STA517Bs. I am guessing they are not a drop-in replacement for the SA505's in the T2 and I should wait for the T4?

I also heard that Tripath chips like a good potentiometer and Alps makes a difference. A Noble pot certainly really improved the sound on my original modded Sonic T-Amp.

It looks like T4 is going to be quite a bit more expensive than T2, just looking at the complexity and the parts. Sigh, I wish I had more money. Supporting your hi-fi audio needs is hard on a student budget :)

T4's 2nd PWM input provide a possible to add a ex-board to accept another input channel, like digital(optical, usb, etc).

Hifimediy, the way your designs are going (e.g., inputs for external boards), a DC power output - like the Sure amps have for daisy-chaining multiple boards together - would be a nice addition. It looks like you might already have a spot reserved for one on the T4, though it's hard to tell from the photo.

Adding a power output might also be a way to avoid the noise issues that surface when multiple boards are connected to the same power supply. It's worth considering, anyway.

:) Is that a actuated/motorized potentiometer and a VFD display header (or maybe an IR and control panel header)?

I wonder how the sound of a sta517B-based amp differs from one with sta510A?

If the higher voltage capacity isn't used, then the sound is essentially the same. If the voltage is raised, you can get stronger peaks plus much less distortion ... These amps sound best at about 60% of maximum power as mandated by rail voltage. Raise the rail voltage and you raise that 60% bar.

Last edited:
do you have detailed THD figures for the STA517B ?

Not really. Here's some info: STA517B at same power levels as normal TP2050?

"You will get the same output with the same load and rail voltage. Whatever internal differences, those will be inside the feedback loop so the output will be the same. "

Essentially, the TC2000 and its rail-voltage / gain configuration mandates the THD.

I think a saw V-bro post some number of ten told lower THD with the STA517Bs but when it's already at around 0.0001% THD then moving the decimal don't really have much difference. The real difference is in rail voltage... and sound. For some reason the STA517B seem to sound better (whatever the reason, I haven't found it yet).

I think a saw V-bro post some number of ten told lower THD with the STA517Bs but when it's already at around 0.0001% THD then moving the decimal don't really have much difference. The real difference is in rail voltage... and sound. For some reason the STA517B seem to sound better (whatever the reason, I haven't found it yet).

OK! That's interesting! Thanks for the info.

I wanted to thank Mr. Y. Yubing (Hifimediy) and Nick Steinar for their enthusiasm, professionalism, and nice products at very fair prices.

I got my T2 and Meanwell S-350-27 within less than a week of ordering.
This evening i wired them up "temporarily" with various bits from my accumulated electronic odds and ends (i suspect temporary may last a few months). The only serious thing I did was to take the input connector out and wire some input wires directly to the board.

Everything works; the heatsink is quite warm running at 30v but I can keep my hand on it; the DC offsets are low as set at the factory and didn't need any adjusting; there is no background noise with 90dB rated speakers; and the sound is well balanced and very detailed. I may not be able to resist putting a tube preamp in front of it just for fun, but it doesn't need it.

I have been accumulating parts for a Nelson Pass F5 amp, which is about as far away from PCM chips and SMPS as you can get and still be playing with solid state audio. (The F5 dissipates about 340 watts constantly in order to get 25 watts of class A power per channel). That's a fun project, too, but it's getting expensive for the two 300va toriods and fancy power supply diodes and huge heatsinks, and so on, so I think it may go on hold for a while.

Now I want a T4. And the modular digital input I just voted for in the previous post. And some nice right-sized chassis... it never ends!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.