New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JTJY
Either way is fine and the LDRs will be fine with this amp and those speakers. I have driven 10k with LDRs but you have to tailor the total resistance to be very low and you must have a source that can drive a low Rtot. Almost any recent CDP can handle that. You might finds some tube output DACs having trouble as they often have 200R+ output impedances and with a 20k input impedance you need to get the LDRs pretty low to have a decent match between a source like that and an amp like this.
HIFIMEDIY - Is there a way to change input impedance to something a little higher? Could they possibly go to 30k-50k which would make his job with LDRs extremely easy?
Uriah

Hi friends,

Just a word to tell what I'm thinking about the v2 versus v1.2b ALPS comparison.

I have the chance to have both at home, and tried them both in the same configuration with Tannoy 8 ohms speakers.

Both were used with the same Meanwell 27 VDC, in the same metal case.

Without my tube preamp :
- v2 has much more bass depth, the difference is big, as if v1.2b had no bass
- v2 has big soundstage but v1.2b even bigger !
- both have clear and audible middle
- v2 has an enjoyable and rich high-middle where v1.2b has less details and less punch
- v2 has average global dynamic where v1.2b sounds much more dynamic
- both highs are rich and punchy
- v1.2b has much more global punch and energy
- v2 sounds more 'natural' then v1.2b

With my tube preamp (with 12au7 Cifte 5 stars triple mica tubes) :
- v2 with my preamp sounds more dynamic and with richer harmonics
- v1.2b with my preamp sounds 'too much' : soundstage too big, too much punchy and even dirty.

Here the Cifte tubes :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All in all I do hesitate cause I prefer v2 for bass depth and for its 'natural sounding' where v1.2b sounds more demonstrative but really enjoyable.

Thank you for reading :)
Regards,
Yannick

Some people were talking about adding more caps in the T3 Power board, if you`re not using an SMPS

-Im not goeing to use an SMPS, but big 34,5v transformator.

-Should i add more or is it not really nessesarry?

-What would change if the caps were increased ?

-And if i would, by how much uf. would i have to increase them?

Frank :eek:

Some people were talking about adding more caps in the T3 Power board, if you`re not using an SMPS

I would definitvely increase caps if a linear ps. With too small caps you will lack dynamics and bass. I would replace each 4700µF on T3e by 10000µF or more.

Jean,
this was an interesting test you did.
I thought that V2 was dedicated to 4 ohm speakers only.
It would be nice to perform the same test with some 4 ohm speakers.
what is the saying in english : "who can do more can do less" ?
v2 can handle both 4 and 8 ohm speakers.
Yannick heard the difference between single ST1508 and dual 505.
Who will send him a T3 to have the full range review ? :D

OK, I need a little help. What are the size specs for the terminal blocks on the V2.0 board?
Twice now I've purchased fork terminals that are too big.:rolleyes:

Silly noobs. :D
these one are quite common over here and fit well on the terminals. Sorry, metric system :D 6mm wide, 3.8mm inside. cable up to 2.5mm^2. The yellow version allows for larger cables. I remove the blue plastic and solder cable.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hifimediy how do you think about this?:)

is there any way i could create a sub out with tk2050 v2? or any ways i could use a sub with that amp?

Build a Pass B1 buffer & add 2 extra outputs
paralleled off the other 2 for sub out it works great.
I doubt you can add outputs to tk2050 it needs a buffer
stage. you would loose a ton of punch & output adding
additional outputs on tk2050,I am almost sure of that.

He is the producer of the boards, maby it will give any problems, when you later use an smps ?
yes, this is true: upgrade the caps will be a potential problem if you later use a smps. Smps don't like big caps. Linear supplies need big caps.
The discussion took place with Hifimediy a couple of weeks ago in this thread : the value of 4700µF is a trade-off. It works for both but its optimal only for smps which is expected to be used by most.
If you use a torroidal, you'll have better results if you replace the 4700µF by larger caps.
If you later want to change for an spms, you can put the 4700µF back :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.