New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just fried my slightly tweaked YuanJing TDA8920 amp .. bit of an annoyance, but it was a cheapy so no stress.. (fried it due to slipping with a screwdriver adjusting a trimpot on a preamp I'm making.. BZZT dead amp..)...

Anyway I'd already ordered my HIFIMEDIY AMT2050 V2 from ebay.. which looks to be a far better amp anyway.

I was powering the now dead TDA8920 with a 18-0-18 160VA transformer, strikes me that I can repurpose this nice toroidal transformer with the windings in parallel and it will drive the AMT2050, and the enclosure with RCAs and banaplugs etc is already made. Measuring with my voltmeter the output is closer to 20VAC on this unit anyway.

Is anyone else using this with an AC power supply? I read through a lot of postings in this thread, I can see a lot of people discussing the theoretical requirements but didn't notice someone saying they are actually using AC power and what kind of results they are getting.

As a potential upgrade would upping the PSU capacitor from 4700uF help much?

thanks!

Hi, I just can tell you that your transformer can work with AMT2050 v2 boards. And if your transformer is big(powerful)enough, it will work good.

This transformer will provide 24V DC to the amp.
I don't know the max power at 24V, but 160 VA transformer might be too low to get the most power out the amp. This is not an issue if you listen in normal conditions (ie not in a night club!)
edit: let me correct myself :D the transformer provides 2x18V and you need only 1x18V AC with the tk2020. So you can parallel the outputs and have all the 160VA available. so no issue with power.

I would upgrade the caps to 2x10 000µF : this will definitively help with linear supply.

Last edited:
V2 coils

>Nick, hifimediy

Why do the coils on the V2 pictures on eBay and here NOT look like what I received?

On my received one, it seems the wire is wound over the full area, 2 or three times.
Is it still about 10uH? Because a LOT more windings than on here/eBay give more inductance.
Weird.

What's up?

>Nick, hifimediy

Why do the coils on the V2 pictures on eBay and here NOT look like what I received?

On my received one, it seems the wire is wound over the full area, 2 or three times.
Is it still about 10uH? Because a LOT more windings than on here/eBay give more inductance.
Weird.

What's up?

Hi,
We used T60-2 coils on v2 before, which is smaller and looks more wound layers on, but it's 11uH too.

Hi, I just can tell you that your transformer can work with AMT2050 v2 boards. And if your transformer is big(powerful)enough, it will work good.

This transformer will provide 24V DC to the amp.
I don't know the max power at 24V, but 160 VA transformer might be too low to get the most power out the amp. This is not an issue if you listen in normal conditions (ie not in a night club!)
edit: let me correct myself :D the transformer provides 2x18V and you need only 1x18V AC with the tk2020. So you can parallel the outputs and have all the 160VA available. so no issue with power.

I would upgrade the caps to 2x10 000µF : this will definitively help with linear supply.

Thanks, yes I think it will power it well! Just I havent noted anyone else doing it, still will be fun to try.

I am getting the v2 which from the pictures has a single 50V 4700uF capacitor.. my target amp enclosure already has 2 35v volt 10,000uF caps in it.
As a possible future "easy" upgrade can put them in series to make a 70v 5,000 uF cap which I can wire in parallel with the onboard cap, doubling the capacitance.

Thanks, yes I think it will power it well! Just I havent noted anyone else doing it, still will be fun to try.

I am getting the v2 which from the pictures has a single 50V 4700uF capacitor.. my target amp enclosure already has 2 35v volt 10,000uF caps in it.
As a possible future "easy" upgrade can put them in series to make a 70v 5,000 uF cap which I can wire in parallel with the onboard cap, doubling the capacitance.

Why not use 20000uF? :D
35V is enough for your usage.

I just realized something about using the 517b chips, in our quest for 50v and it's increased power, what do we do with the gain settings of the feedback loop? If we use a 15v/v setting that we have been using at 30v, will we clip the feedback input of the TC2000 causing distortion and reliability issues?

Hi, sendler. Good question.
For T3, the gain is larger than other boards to achive larger voltage output range. And for reliability, we are doing more test now.:)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the recommendation of the 2*80W board for speakers of 8ohms is based on power available or sound quality?
BTW: I would like to power 16ohm horn drivers with it, so which will be the right choice?
Thx in advance for feedback.

Hi dubai2000,
2*80W@8ohm is the maxium output ability of the board(v1 and v2), based on power available as you said. If drive 16ohm loader, v1 and v2 will output less power(about 40W max). So may be T3 is better for you.

Going active power is no real issue.....I am looking for a board that sounds as warm and full as my modded 3020amp but without its hiss. Would your amps be less 'noisy'....talking about more than 100db speakers?

I would recommend the v1 ALPS for you. i have 99db speakers, and no noise. with ear 10 cm from speakers then i can hear some sshhh very quiet. Same with v2, but, on my speakers the v1 alps is slight better than the v2.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.