New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope. That's the correct THD level, measured on a Tripath reference board AFAIK. The implementations made since are then arguably better.
yes the Tripath tk2050 datasheet says that. Real life boards are quite different :D

@tripath07 : it's Arjen's mkIII ta2020 board. Beside the power, which is obviously in favour of T2, I also prefer T2 because it's more defined than ta2020. The sound seems brighter, soundstage wider and much tighter bass.
I could heard only small difference between arjen's high-end ta2020 implementation and the hlly "average" one. The chip makes the sound.
ta2020 sounds great, and for the price, I consider them exceptionally good amps. I still prefer tk2050 for my main system.

Hi, to clear up a bit:
hifimediy currently only have T2 with 10000uf Nichicon KG. We used 4700uf nichicon before, then went to NOVEL 10000uf.

About the "original" - that refers to the power stage chip, it uses tk2050 instead of sta505. The 10000uf cap is the same.

I think the different amps will sound different on different speakers. My personal favorite is T1 alps, it could also be different personal preferences.

Hi, to clear up a bit:
hifimediy currently only have T2 with 10000uf Nichicon KG. We used 4700uf nichicon before, then went to NOVEL 10000uf.

About the "original" - that refers to the power stage chip, it uses tk2050 instead of sta505. The 10000uf cap is the same.

I think the different amps will sound different on different speakers. My personal favorite is T1 alps, it could also be different personal preferences.

sorry, I misspelled this, while trying to not make more confusion.. :)

it should say: It uses TP2050 chip (part of TK2050 chipset) instead of sta505.
TK2050 chipset consists of TC2000 and TP2050, so that's what it meant with original version.

Hi tamphist,

" I switched 4700uF Nichicon to 330uF, because I have cheap SMPS which is not so good at handling large capacitive loads."

How does it sound now?

I am getting even better sound now from my T2 4700uf and Meanwell than since my last posts. I would suggest purchasing the Meanwell SMPS that is recommended for the T2/T1. I would put the 4700uf back in. With what I am hearing now makes me think the T2 with the 4700uf is an amazingly beautiful sounding amplifier. With the meanwell a VERY slight adjustment of the meanwell, allows you to fine tune the sound.

Let me know what you think

Hi teamacc,

On the front lower left of the Meanwell there is a white adjustment screw that allow you to increase or decrease the voltage from 27v to 32v. So one result of "adjusting" this is the more voltage the more bass you get and punch, the less voltage the less bass you get and more treble. Clarity is also in the mix there too. In my experience there is a very small "sweet spot" area to be in for the T2 4700. I like it!

Give the Meanwell a try!

Hi jtjy, "so at which voltage does the sweet spot lies? will try out ltr!"

I do not have a way to measure it, I tune it by ear. After a little time I found I like it close to the max setting. I turn it all the way up 32v, then I back it off maybe an 1/4" or so?... :) If I were to guess I would say it's somewhere between 30v and 31v.

Hope that helps!

Concerning the cap I want to replace my 4700µF Nichicon by Mundorf M-lytic AG (the new generation), this is the best quality in audio for power caps.

If you look into the Virtue Amp you see each model have a different power cap, the most expensive have the largest cap (33000µF for the Sensation) so i'll try the Mundorf 33000µF/40v (35*60mm) when I come home (after the holidays).

We should not overview the architecture around the chip. I read something about the balance act between powersupply and the caps on the board and cannot imagine that the calculation is as simple as it seems to be. For example: some users say, that SMPS should combined with smaller caps and torroidals with the bigger ones. But on the other hand: I owned a virtue TWO classic months ago and if I am not wrong the bass region of the virtue was more punchy dry and alive than the T2. The bigger cap seems to be a 22.000 µF and the input caps are from auricap.

I am also interested in your experiences with the bigger Mundorfs and I just would know from you: which powersupply you use ??

I consider them exceptionally good amps. I still prefer tk2050 for my main system.

Do you refer to the T2 with STA510 ? As I know you got a special built version instead of a STA505. Is this a really big step forward for you ?
I think hifimediy should have his thoughts why not using the STA510 as standard chip. The most audiophile sound I got from a battery supplied TA2020.
Sadly it's power is limited compared to a T2, thus it makes only sense to hook it up with easy to drive speakers.

Do you refer to the T2 with STA510 ? As I know you got a special built version instead of a STA505. Is this a really big step forward for you ?
depends what you mean by "big" :D
it's definitively better at mid and high level (distorsion comes later). At lower level, i hear no difference with stock T2.

I think hifimediy should have his thoughts why not using the STA510 as standard chip.
There is a temperature issue. T2 gets quite hot with 2xST510A. I power at 36V now. Still waiting for my 40V power supply to measure if temperature remains acceptable.
T2 board is crowded and unfortunately a larger heatsink will not fit.

It would be great if Hifimediy could build a larger "T5" board with 2xSTA517B chips to be able to drive 4 ohms speakers :)
Yubing, if you're around ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.