New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Missed it by that much

Tempted Scott? Have a go way better than my stock sure 4x100

I just received 10 of the 2X100 modules and 36v power supplies last month so I am already committed. I do like the passive cooling and on board pop delay relay and the real quality input caps. The pot wouldn't help any active cross users but is great for most people with passive speakers though I would recommend listening to a lower value of 10k to compare. It would also be fun to compare a Meanwell S-350-36 power supply to an AC transformer supply. My money is on the SMPS.

Tried it

Why? Not that I favor AC over DC; I'm just curious . . .

When I first got my Sure amp I ran it from one leg of the big linear supply that I had been using for all of my AB amps over the years. I liked the TK2050 enough to want another one so I also ordered a MeanWell SMPS and was very surprised to hear that it sounded much better than the linear supply.

I saw earlier that this board takes AC as well as DC. What are the power requirements (e.g., what sort of transformer would it need)?

Hifimediy told me 12-24VAC. Does that sound right? He said DC range is 20-36V. I thought I had read somewhere that AC is * 1.4 when rectified into DC. so that would make 12-24VAC 16.8V-33.6
The amp would draw 6-7A at 30VDC if run at full power (2*100W). So would anybody know how big ampere 24V transformer would be needed to run 2*100W?

230va

Hifimediy told me 12-24VAC. Does that sound right? He said DC range is 20-36V. I thought I had read somewhere that AC is * 1.4 when rectified into DC. so that would make 12-24VAC 16.8V-33.6
The amp would draw 6-7A at 30VDC if run at full power (2*100W). So would anybody know how big ampere 24V transformer would be needed to run 2*100W?

33 volts*7 amps = 230 VA at least. Now your transformer alone will cost more than a 9 amp MeanWell SMPS. I have never seen my amps average more than .35 amps of current consumption when playing though.

At 24v at 4ohms, max possible consumption will be 6 amps (24/4=6).
This way, the max ever reachable is 24*4=92watts.
But as 32 volts makes 100watts, 24v will make 24/32*100=75watts.
This way, max power consumption will be 2*75w=150watt=150VA.
I would recommend something bigger though.

Thanks!
When you say 32 volts makes 100W, is that info from tripath datasheet or from hifimediy? He wrote me something like its able to produce more than 100W.

Watts

So how many watt 230V (or 110V) transformer would that require?
I guess the max current flow is quite theoretical as you would't play at 100W very long. Maybe if using very low efficient speakers, or for PA use, you could play at 2*100W.

Watts and VA are the same. Transformers are rated by their output. The amps are 85 percent efficient. If you want 200 watts out of the amp, you need a transformer that can supply 235 watts.

33 volts*7 amps = 230 VA at least. Now your transformer alone will cost more than a 9 amp MeanWell SMPS. I have never seen my amps average more than .35 amps of current consumption when playing though.

A Meanwell SMPS would be somewhat cheaper, and possibly offer better performance. But a toroid transformer might fit more easily in a small case. It's a question of tradeoffs - some of us don't have room for a big shelf-sized chassis. :rolleyes:

However, I'm still a bit unclear on how TK2050 amps consume power. The optimal DC voltage (all other factors being equal) seems to be in the 32-36 volt range. So if voltage and resistance are constants, then I assume current consumption (amps) will fluctuate according to the type of music played (e.g., bass vs. treble) and the volume at which it's played?

On a related note: has anyone noticed a difference when using two different power supplies with the same voltage, but different amp ratings? Or does a 120w supply pretty much sound the same as a 350w supply under normal listening conditions?

@SoldierAnt76: amplifier impedance is never fixed... it fluctuate with the music flow... that's how we get the sound outputed as AC signal... It is the Power supply voltage supply that should be able to retain the same for whatever the load change... (and thus the current flow...)

in my limited experience (with chip amps and not with this Tripath amp), power supply impedance (and regulation) and transient response influence more on the final sound than the maximum supply (which may never be needed in normal listening conditions)

this could be the reason why batteries sound good, even with it's lower voltage supply... [good] battery response to the amplifier impedance change without any limit on how much current requested...

I belive the max ever reachable should be 24*6=144w as p=vi
or you can work it out with p=i*i*r = 6*6*4 = 144w.

As with 32v max specified output is 100w, max on 24v will be equally less, maybe even squared.
So, if squared (which i think it is), power output on 32v is 100w
24v is 2/3 of that, so power will be reduced to 4/9 of the original power, resulting in approx 45w/channel.
So on 24v, even a 45w psu might cut it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.