New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a ta2020 from Arjen Helder, running on 12V battery. Arjen ta2020 board is good eventhough I think Yuo's Charlize is the best ta2020 available for now.
I like both, but prefer hifimediy v2. I think it's as warm sounding (i like that none of them sounds like a ClassD!) very detailed and smooth. I like when you can hear separate instruments. ta2020 is less detailed. tk2050 v2 is definitively much better in handling the bass than ta2020, and of course much more punchy, especially with my 4ohm speakers. I guess the meanwell 350W smps contibutes a lot here.
I don't have the issue you mention with the highs, maybe my speakers ? at the level I usually listen, i don't have so many issues with tk2050 distorsion.
I have listened to ta2020, ta2022 and tk2050. My preference order is tk2050, ta2020 and ta2022 comes last, quite far from the first two.

Umm 10W for $120usd
Its not apples to apples. Charlize has Blackgates, Cerafines etc on it. Not a fair comparison.
Why would you pick this amp to drive speakers that are efficient enough to only need Charlize?

maybe I need to try V2 instead.
as you know us diy guys are always looking for something else.
I am not knocking this amp.maybe it needs a lot more burn in time.

Last edited:
I have a ta2020 from Arjen Helder, running on 12V battery. Arjen ta2020 board is good eventhough I think Yuo's Charlize is the best ta2020 available for now.
I like both, but prefer hifimediy v2. I think it's as warm sounding (i like that none of them sounds like a ClassD!) very detailed and smooth. I like when you can hear separate instruments. ta2020 is less detailed. tk2050 v2 is definitively much better in handling the bass than ta2020, and of course much more punchy, especially with my 4ohm speakers. I guess the meanwell 350W smps contibutes a lot here.
I don't have the issue you mention with the highs, maybe my speakers ? at the level I usually listen, i don't have so many issues with tk2050 distorsion.
I have listened to ta2020, ta2022 and tk2050. My preference order is tk2050, ta2020 and ta2022 comes last, quite far from the first two.

I made some other class-T amps too, I think TA2020 and TA2024 is easier to make success(good sound) but a little weak(less power) for many people. TA2022 is the most difficult to deal with, many boards can't handle the noise and there is always strange problem that I can't find answer by now..

I made some other class-T amps too, I think TA2020 and TA2024 is easier to make success(good sound) but a little weak(less power) for many people. TA2022 is the most difficult to deal with, many boards can't handle the noise and there is always strange problem that I can't find answer by now..

Do you have any suggestions for softening the highs,
also seems like to much emphasis on certain mids,
for instance on female vocals it just to far out front
almost earsplitting,on any speaker I have tried.
when I switch back to 2020 it is like everything is
in perfect balance,I am willing to tweak if you have
any suggestions. would V2 be more to my liking
warmer more balanced.

Last edited:
Do you have any suggestions for softening the highs,
also seems like to much emphasis on certain mids,
for instance on female vocals it just to far out front
almost earsplitting,on any speaker I have tried.
when I switch back to 2020 it is like everything is
in perfect balance,I am willing to tweak if you have
any suggestions. would V2 be more to my liking
warmer more balanced.

Do you use a preamp? bad match? Yannick said the v1 was "too much" together with his preamp

You can try change the WIMA 0.22uF to 0.33, will cut some high frequency.

I will give that a shot.
how do you adjust the 2 set screws beside volume pot
is this for DC offset and could this be way off causing
what seems to be distortion especially if I stand right
beside of the speakers I hear distortion what are your thoughts
I am using 2 12 volt SLA in series fully charged.

I will give that a shot.

It's important to make sure the baterry has ability to give enough current for amplifier, or there will be distortion.

SLA batteries are made for starting engines so they usually have no problem delivering the current needed for transients, but a cap might be useful. Be careful when the SLA comes close to being decharged. It can cause the amp to shut on and off rapidly due to undervolting which is not good for the amp. A voltmeter might be a good idea.

SLA batteries are made for starting engines so they usually have no problem delivering the current needed for transients, but a cap might be useful. Be careful when the SLA comes close to being decharged. It can cause the amp to shut on and off rapidly due to undervolting which is not good for the amp. A voltmeter might be a good idea.

Both batteries measured right at 25 volts and both are 9 amp
that should be more than enough power.

I will give that a shot.

What db/w ratings are your speakers? I think if you hear clear audible distortion, something has to be wrong, if you have fairly normal speakers.

What db/w ratings are your speakers? I think if you hear clear audible distortion, something has to be wrong, if you have fairly normal speakers.

I have Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 95db,
I also have a pair of Energy and heard same
thing using those,maybe the DC offset is
way off is that a possibility,could that cause slight distortion.
I am grasping and will give it another shot
if you guys have any ideas.

dc offset can't be heard unless it is way off is my experience. It just makes the cone have a new resting site from which it moves. If the cones are not used outside their linear excursion I find it hard to believe you can hear it. The small 2024 sure sometimes have 200mv offset and I actually couldn't hear it at low volume.

Hiss?

I have Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 95db,
I also have a pair of Energy and heard same
thing using those,maybe the DC offset is
way off is that a possibility,could that cause slight distortion.
I am grasping and will give it another shot
if you guys have any ideas.
Do you mean distortion or is it a hiss when you say that you hear it standing right beside the speakers. What does the voltage measure at the amp's power connection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.