New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, implemented this.. of course hard to quantify but I think the amp can pour out a lot more definate bass now!
But then I know I've increased the capacitance from 4700uF to 24700uF.

Here is a picture of my fairly basic enclosure setup (electronics store instrument enclosure):

amt2050-ac-power-1.JPG

its the enclosure (and extra capacitors + transformer) repurposed from my dead YuanJing module

All fits very nicely. I'm using a bamboo chopstick stuck on with hotglue as the rail to attach the extra caps to.

Now I'm really enjoying the amp.. it's very quiet, very clear, and can put out quite heavy bass with my econowave speakers.

good stuff!

Exactly the setup I'm after. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

new post

A new topic might be preferable, since this DDX board you're developing is a substantially different product and it isn't a "TK2050 board," as the name implies. You'd probably get more attention and feedback from a new discussion anyway, since these conversations can get unwieldy after the first fifty pages or so. :rolleyes:

I post a new topic at last: DDX AMP.
I will post information of new progress there later.;)

Sizing Toroid for v2 board

I'll probably initially going with a toroidal transformer (Antek - AN-4228) for power.

I too am new at all this (so take this with a grain of salt!) and would like to use a toroidal transformer with the V2 board.

The one you linked to makes 28 v (which I assume is AC, yah?) which seems higher than what recommended, which is AC 16 - 22 v according to the website.

So wouldn't something like this be better, as it makes 20 v?:

Antek - AN-3220

Someone who actually knows what they're doing willing to set is straight? :)

I too am new at all this (so take this with a grain of salt!) and would like to use a toroidal transformer with the V2 board.

The one you linked to makes 28 v (which I assume is AC, yah?) which seems higher than what recommended, which is AC 16 - 22 v according to the website.

Antek - AN-3220

You are correct. I looked over the specs & confirmed what you are saying.
Btw, I also have another kit, ClassDAudio's SDS-254, coming in & would love someone who has done a serious audio quality comparison to chime in.

I am most excited about working with the Hifimediy kit though. I haven't even built my first kit yet & I'm already hooked.

Antek - AN-3220

As TheDealer said, I would also recomend the meanwell smps instead of a transformer.

I was used to toroidal + linear supplies with other classAB amps. I must say that I am really impressed by meanwell 350W smps + amt2050v2 board.

If you really want to use a transformer, the recomended range for AC transformer for this board is 16-22V.
20V is perfect. It will provide 20 * 1,414 - 1,2 = 27V at the amp level (Vcc).

The link you give for the Antek has dual output. You only need one output for this board. You can save money, space and weight :D.

With a transformer, I recomend to increase the size of the power cap, for example as zog666 did (see previous page). Not needed if a meanwell smps is used.

If you get a toroid with 2 isolated outputs (no connection between the outputs), at a reasonable power and voltage, like this one (click), you can run dual mono from a single toroid.
This is one of the recommended setups for the amp11HV (41hz), which is cloned into the T3 board.
So if you like toroids, you can use them for the T3 board.
Keep in mind though, that the linked toroid is 34vAC, which makes 48vDC. A little diode losses (approx to 47v) is quite close to the max 50v the onboard buffercaps accept.
As the toroid is unregulated, unlike the meanwell, peak voltage might be higher, destroying the T3 board...

I would certainly go for the t3 board with 2 meanwell psus.

ok. and BTW I agree with what you say, it makes sense. Except that i never heard that a toroidal could create voltage peaks. The voltage with no load is a bit higher than the specs, but this is normal and will not damage an amp. However, voltage can drop when current request is high. This can definitively happen if transformer is undersized.

power supplies for v2 boards

Thanks everyone for the discussion on power for the v2 boards, I sure appreciate it, and have learned a lot. :)

I wanted to use a toroid because I've preferred amps that use these, although I can't be certain that was the only reason I preferred those amps; it's just been a consistent pattern.

Currently, for example, I am using a ClassD Audio amp the I built (CDA-254L) that I prefer to the Bel Canto ice-power amp that I own--both are very good, just different. The ClassD has more "body" through the mids which I like (I'm a fan of tube amps), the Bel Canto a bit more resolution. Running both through a tube pre-amp improves both, at least for for my tastes.

I know the chips differ, so there is more going on here than the power supply, but I thought I'd try a v2 board with toroid. Give the discussion here, I am now not sure it's a good idea. :confused:

Yes, the Antek toroid I pointed to (3220) has two outputs, but I could not find a source with a single output! Anyone suggest one?

Maybe now I'll try to be patient and wait for v3.

Regardless, thanks to hifimediy and Nick122147 for making these available!

:cheerful:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.