New TK2050 board - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2010, 09:21 AM   #611
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
Btw, I also have another kit, ClassDAudio's SDS-254, coming in & would love someone who has done a serious audio quality comparison to chime in.
Let us know your listening experience
sds-254 at 235$ does not play in the same league! given the power, a comparison with T3 would be really fun.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:52 AM   #612
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you get a toroid with 2 isolated outputs (no connection between the outputs), at a reasonable power and voltage, like this one (click), you can run dual mono from a single toroid.
This is one of the recommended setups for the amp11HV (41hz), which is cloned into the T3 board.
So if you like toroids, you can use them for the T3 board.
Keep in mind though, that the linked toroid is 34vAC, which makes 48vDC. A little diode losses (approx to 47v) is quite close to the max 50v the onboard buffercaps accept.
As the toroid is unregulated, unlike the meanwell, peak voltage might be higher, destroying the T3 board...

I would certainly go for the t3 board with 2 meanwell psus.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:15 AM   #613
diyAudio Member

teamacc, to which post do you reply ?
Old 18th August 2010, 12:31 PM   #614
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Mostly to post #607.
Also posting some things that just came to my head about the psu for a t3 board.
Old 18th August 2010, 01:57 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

ok. and BTW I agree with what you say, it makes sense. Except that i never heard that a toroidal could create voltage peaks. The voltage with no load is a bit higher than the specs, but this is normal and will not damage an amp. However, voltage can drop when current request is high. This can definitively happen if transformer is undersized.
Old 18th August 2010, 03:10 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

Default another PSU for T3

for mono channel use.
The size of PCB will be 112*60 ( half of the current one). Board will come in this month.
Attached Images
File Type: png T3 psu 2nd.PNG (33.9 KB, 502 views)
Old 18th August 2010, 04:19 PM   #617
diyAudio Member

Default power supplies for v2 boards

Thanks everyone for the discussion on power for the v2 boards, I sure appreciate it, and have learned a lot.

I wanted to use a toroid because I've preferred amps that use these, although I can't be certain that was the only reason I preferred those amps; it's just been a consistent pattern.

Currently, for example, I am using a ClassD Audio amp the I built (CDA-254L) that I prefer to the Bel Canto ice-power amp that I own--both are very good, just different. The ClassD has more "body" through the mids which I like (I'm a fan of tube amps), the Bel Canto a bit more resolution. Running both through a tube pre-amp improves both, at least for for my tastes.

I know the chips differ, so there is more going on here than the power supply, but I thought I'd try a v2 board with toroid. Give the discussion here, I am now not sure it's a good idea.

Yes, the Antek toroid I pointed to (3220) has two outputs, but I could not find a source with a single output! Anyone suggest one?

Maybe now I'll try to be patient and wait for v3.

Regardless, thanks to hifimediy and Nick122147 for making these available!

Old 18th August 2010, 07:45 PM   #618
diyAudio Member

Hello guys i have the v2 board and i screwed with the dc adjuster and getting high reading 23..,21.how do you adjust them i screwed both ways but reading did not change help!
Old 19th August 2010, 01:29 AM   #619
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz2000 View Post
Hello guys i have the v2 board and i screwed with the dc adjuster and getting high reading 23..,21.how do you adjust them i screwed both ways but reading did not change help!
Hi, try another adjuster.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:34 AM   #620
diyAudio Member

do you mean that one trim pot adjust both left and right speakers or one for left and one for right, the trim pot on the left gives me 0L reading on my meter does this mean it is shorted out?

Hide this!Advertise here!