New TK2050 board - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2010, 08:53 PM   #551
Banned

It means that if you pull too much current from the psu, it will shut down, and restart when the overload have gone away. Some psu's also latch off and need to be power cycled.
Old 31st July 2010, 12:58 AM   #552
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As Tekko says.

If there is a short circuit on the output of the power supply, it will shut down to protect itself. Most SMPS have this feature.
12A into 2x8 ohm loads (stereo) is about 280 Watts per channel. You won't really get that much, but it gives you an idea.
Old 31st July 2010, 05:23 AM   #553
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige838 View Post
Hello Nick,
I don't mean to pry, but where on earth did you find those Li-Ion batteries? I have been searching for months without success.

Thank you for your time,
Nicholas G.
Hi.
lots of them in China, I got a 24V 6800mAh with one charger, works good. but I was told max current is 2A, maybe controlled with some electronic safety thing.
Only problem, and maybe why you cant find them, is that it's impossible to send these in any way. Can't use china post, DHL or any courrier.

here are some 12V on ebay:
Lithium-ion Battery 6800maH items - Get great deals on Electronics items on eBay.com!

I have also found some Lipo batteries, around 30V, can discharge at up to 100A. curious to try
Old 31st July 2010, 12:12 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
Hi.
but I was told max current is 2A
useless for audio if this value is valid also for peak current, imho. I read that SLA batteries are able to deliver up to 100 A for a short time.
Old 31st July 2010, 08:16 PM   #555
diyAudio Member

Edit: some Li-ion batteries include an electronic controlled max. discharge . This could be the 2 A which are notified.
Old 31st July 2010, 08:55 PM   #556
nige838 is offline nige838  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
Hi.
lots of them in China, I got a 24V 6800mAh with one charger, works good. but I was told max current is 2A, maybe controlled with some electronic safety thing.
Only problem, and maybe why you cant find them, is that it's impossible to send these in any way. Can't use china post, DHL or any courrier.

here are some 12V on ebay:
Lithium-ion Battery 6800maH items - Get great deals on Electronics items on eBay.com!

I have also found some Lipo batteries, around 30V, can discharge at up to 100A. curious to try
Funny thing, I use these batteries with the Lepai...but I had to remove the safety circuit from each cell...dangerous I know...They work great after that. The safety circuit isn't worth crap anyways, lets them charge all the way up to 13.6 volts instead of 12.6 and discharges all the way down to 6 VOLTS, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!?

Anyways, I removed the safety circuit and have been OK so far (about 2 months). Run time at max volume is around 12-20 hours (It's mono), clean sound, and harder hitting than a 12 volt, 6 amp supply.

My idea now is to buy a whole bunch of cheap 3cell lipos from Hobbyking...then make my own packs....

Thanks for the input about the supply...I think that I must have messed up my wording. I wanted to make sure that if I put a SMPS with alot of amperage onto the tk2050 board that I wouldn't fry the board. I don't think that too much Amperage in the SMPS would affect the board in a negative way, just want to make sure...

Thanks guys for all the help,
Nicholas G.
Old 7th August 2010, 06:08 AM   #557
diyAudio Member

Default How to burn the chips on AMT2050 boards

Hi, guys.
I made many AMT2050 boards and here is 3 of my notes for how chips damaged:
  • Any of the outputs short to VEE(GND) or VCC will burn the STA50x chip immediately when power on.
  • Two separate Ground on board disconnected
  • 5V supply for logic circuit abnormal (higher than 5.5V) or VCC is too high.
May be there is something else will burn the chips that I don't know. Please tell me if you know anything(experience) about that.
Old 7th August 2010, 07:30 AM   #558
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

How about a polarity swap!!?!
Old 7th August 2010, 07:54 AM   #559
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The onboard rectifier board on one of the boards does prevent the polarity swap.
Pretty sure the chips dont like the swapped polarity lol.
Old 7th August 2010, 08:19 AM   #560
diyAudio Member

Yes, both v1 and v2 are ok for polarity swap (DC supply).
And I even try use AC power supply for v1 which is DC supply only, the board was not damaged except the relay turning on and off fast.

Hide this!Advertise here!