New TK2050 board - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2010, 10:52 AM   #491
diyAudio Member

Default I finished T3e(PSU and protection) board today.

Hope you like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3 sys.JPG (97.9 KB, 510 views)
Old 21st July 2010, 11:40 AM   #492
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

don't know how it sounds, but it looks good the PSU form factor is interesting and will make housing easy.
This has 4x4700F. Isn't that too less for a linear supply at such power ?
I would go for 4x10 000F. Should not increase cost much, but will surely provide a better power tank.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:59 AM   #493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
I have just measured the current on v2 board and read 0.15 (150ma) on idle.
Measured v1 board again with 87dB/1W speakers, turned up a bit, not crazy loud (have quite small room), and read between 1.3 and 1.8, so 130 - 180mA.

Now I suddenly feel so "green"
Old 21st July 2010, 12:40 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
don't know how it sounds, but it looks good the PSU form factor is interesting and will make housing easy.
This has 4x4700F. Isn't that too less for a linear supply at such power ?
I would go for 4x10 000F. Should not increase cost much, but will surely provide a better power tank.
Hi, consider that most times we will use a SMPS, 4700uF is not a bad idea. And there is room to fit in bigger caps if needed.
Old 21st July 2010, 01:11 PM   #495
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I see rectifier on board, board is not meant to be used with smps in the first place.

Are it 2 psu boards? as for then, one of the rectifiers looks smaller..

Edit: PS: me likes
Old 21st July 2010, 01:12 PM   #496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
i guess you could calculate or measure how many Watts are wasted in the crossover. But in the speaker ? If you had a "perfect" speaker which didn't produce any heat, how many dB would you get from 1W?
it isnt correct that just only the crossover produces heat. Why else should all chassis manufacturers spent time and money to optimize the cooling system on the magnets ? In thermodynamics is 1 watt = 1 joule per second. Heat and energy are both measured in joule - better in temperature increase of a isolated system. To get the right joule values you also need the heat capacity of the system. You can also define electric energy like the calculation W = Volt * Ampere. This calculation does also not regard the heat production in the copper cable for example. Total energy split in heat energy (what we dont wish) and translation/movement energy (thats preferred). dB measurements are different and complex to convert in watts.
Usually they measure dB of a microfon in 1 meter distance and 1 watt amp power. Maybe you know the standard calculation which says that you have everytime double the power to increase +3 dB.

I am nearly sure that I am writing about things you already know ... so excuse me if I act a bit like an teacher (I am writing much when the day is long) - but who knows, maybe another reader was cleared up ...

Have a nice day
Old 21st July 2010, 01:18 PM   #497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hope you like it
Hi, if I am right I can connect this PSU with an SMPS ? The board should stand at least 10 amperes current by 36 volts supply I think...
Old 21st July 2010, 01:23 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Hi, if I am right I can connect this PSU with an SMPS ? The board should stand at least 10 amperes current by 36 volts supply I think...
yes, the traces on pcb and the connector/wire can stand current of 10A. You may use up to 50V DC to get maxium output power.
Old 21st July 2010, 01:52 PM   #499
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hi, consider that most times we will use a SMPS, 4700uF is not a bad idea. And there is room to fit in bigger caps if needed.
now i am confused
This is a linear PS board, with rectifier and filtering+tank caps. Only needs a transformer and done. In this use case, caps need to be bigger.

If SMPS is used, there is no need for an additional PS board, correct ?
The only reason I can see to use this PS board with SMPS, is to benefit from the tank caps. But then, why bother with a board : simply wire one large cap or more in parallel up to the desired tank size.

Sorry, i just don't get the use case you have in mind for this PS board.

Can you share the schematic of the PS board ?
Old 21st July 2010, 02:16 PM   #500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
now i am confused
This is a linear PS board, with rectifier and filtering+tank caps. Only needs a transformer and done. In this use case, caps need to be bigger.

If SMPS is used, there is no need for an additional PS board, correct ?
100% correct imho.

Quote:
The only reason I can see to use this PS board with SMPS, is to benefit from the tank caps. But then, why bother with a board : simply wire one large cap or more in parallel up to the desired tank size.
I agree with you. Notice that with SMPS you don't need large tank caps, instead they could create some problem to the SMPS for some reasons related to its feedback circuit.
Bye

Hide this!Advertise here!