New TK2050 board - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2010, 01:31 PM   #391
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
Now i run without a cap before the pot, its works. Will it sound better with a cap there, is that the reason I need one?
Measure to see if there is any dc between the dac output and ground. If there is then you need caps on both sides of the pot.
Old 5th July 2010, 01:36 PM   #392
DJK265 is offline DJK265  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hi, 35V supply is needed for 80W from v1.1B, andyou can use down to 6ohm, but we suggest the supply voltage will be down to about 30V then, which will keep the chip away from damage. If use 4ohm, the supply voltage should down to about 20V, with same reason.
I think v2.0 can output same power to 8ohm load as v1.1B does. But if your speakers are 8ohm, we suggest v1.1B, it's better for 8ohm(less heat, better channel balance and so on).
hifimediy, If driving 4ohm speakers with 30v supply would I be exceeding the voltage rating on the v2.0 board? I'd rather not smoke this board with too much voltage. Also, maybe a 1 sheet instruction manual shipped with the various versions showing wiring diagrams and required power supplies would be great for the novice or otherwise. Great board! Thanks

Dan
Old 5th July 2010, 01:38 PM   #393
diyAudio Member

The input stage of class T amplifier always uses 5V supply, so does most of DACs. So, some times there is a chance to cancel the caps. When the DC of DAC output equal to the DC of amplifier input. No?
Old 5th July 2010, 01:43 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan.
I think 30V is ok for v2.0. If you don't need much output power, you can choose around 24V power supply. And thanks for your advice.

hifimediy
Old 5th July 2010, 01:47 PM   #395
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
not the technician at all but your mentioned disadvantages I could not listen out with my 10 ampere SMPS. Its regulated and from a popular japanese brand. They invest millions in research and best engineers. I think voltage and current is more complex than I or the simple DIY people can imagine.
Regard this for example ... a battery can provide on demand 100 amperes very fast. Maybe faster than a SMPS but what about the main impedance issue in a audio chain: the speakers ? I can imagine that a simple designed speaker demands a very wide range of current. And should this demand really provided in any time with the equal intense ?

Whats the practical result ? Some SMPS are best solutions valued by listening impressions
yes, you're right to say it is not easy to manage voltage current in relation to time.
I think you've heard such an amplifier. 2x200W esoteric with big transformer and large capacity, the feeling is beautiful, the timbre of the instruments is natural.
problem is groped to emulate this with an SMPS. (although professional does not mean that it is designed to have these characteristics).
if you have an oscilloscope, you can make a simple measure.
put CH1 at Vcc, ch2 at output of amp on load. Amplifier drives with burst signal 60Hz or 100Hz 33mS duration and see voltage decrease on oscilloscope.
Old 5th July 2010, 01:53 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Measure to see if there is any dc between the dac output and ground. If there is then you need caps on both sides of the pot.
There is 2.5V on the dac side. Will i damage the dac if running like this?
How big cap do i need?
Old 5th July 2010, 02:17 PM   #397
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default no damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
There is 2.5V on the dac side. Will i damage the dac if running like this?
How big cap do i need?
shorting the dc probably won't damage the dac especially since it is only loaded by 50k but it might sound better with a cap to block the load. Try another of the same cap you are using for the amp. Any value between 1uf and 3uf usually works well and gives enough extension in the bass.
Old 5th July 2010, 02:22 PM   #398
avionic is offline avionic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Is this the mono board?
Old 5th July 2010, 02:25 PM   #399
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ArjenShenzhen
Hi there SOSx,

his board has the 5V on-board, no need for a separate 5V input.

For the DC offset over a different power range, this should not be effected, as the offset is taken from the on board 5V supply (7805) the trimmer trims that to 2.5V DC on the analog audio in on the TC2000. so if the input voltage changes that 2.5 Volts will not change.

The IC can run well off of 16V, with reduced power, im not sure how the HIFImedly board performs if you give it less than 20 volts.

for Don,

The 2.2uF or 3.3uF will not make a difference at that impedance, but if you make the size smaller than 2.2uF the cap starts acting as a high pass , and it will reduce the bass that comes thru. so if you need less bass, 1uF is just fine, i know from my amps that 2.2uF is also perfect, larger is not needed.

Greetings,

Arjen Helder
Old 5th July 2010, 02:40 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionic View Post
Is this the mono board?
Right. It's mini, but powerful.

Hide this!Advertise here!