New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some listening feedback :

First tried v2 PCB alone, no preamp, adjusting volume with it's pot.
It sounded wonderfull, high, a lot of air, with clean background, this is very addictive.
But it lacked a little bit of dynamic and "timbres" (dunno how to say it in english).

I then added my Cochet tube preamp, with 2 Cifte 5 stars triple mica preamp, and it was better.
Better dynamic and warmth, same background and overhall signature :yes:

I have tried a lot of pots last year on my preamp and have always found it is critical and needs very high-end attention.

I fear that the original small blue pot of the v2 PCB (what's the exact reference ?) slows and darkens the sound a little bit.
I'll have to try other pots like ALPS blue or black beauty, or Digikey PEC.

But this board is a masterpiece and outperforms my EL34 push-pull in almost everything else ! I fear that my tube amp will have to stop service :wave2:
This classe-D has huge and very good bass with control, details. It has extremely good low-highs, cimbals explode in my living-room like never before.
All of this is really enjoyable :)

Regards,
Yannick

Hi kickngas,
I'm using Tannoy D500, 91 dB/W/m, and was listening to normal volume, not extremely loud.
They have one 8" polypro coaxial HP and one 8" woofer.
TannoyD500.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
Nice review. What speakers are you driving, their efficiency, and how loud do they get. I have a TA 2020 and want more volume.
Thanks
I have a TA2020 (Arjen Helder). It plays very well, but limited to 15/20W. Hifimediy TK2050 board delivers much more power, and to my ears, an even better sound than ta2020.
I have 86db 2-way diy loudspeakers (zaph sr71). it plays loud enough :)

Some listening feedback :

First tried v2 PCB alone, no preamp, adjusting volume with it's pot.
It sounded wonderfull, high, a lot of air, with clean background, this is very addictive.
But it lacked a little bit of dynamic and "timbres" (dunno how to say it in english).

I then added my Cochet tube preamp, with 2 Cifte 5 stars triple mica preamp, and it was better.
Better dynamic and warmth, same background and overhall signature :yes:

I have tried a lot of pots last year on my preamp and have always found it is critical and needs very high-end attention.

I fear that the original small blue pot of the v2 PCB (what's the exact reference ?) slows and darkens the sound a little bit.
I'll have to try other pots like ALPS blue or black beauty, or Digikey PEC.

But this board is a masterpiece and outperforms my EL34 push-pull in almost everything else ! I fear that my tube amp will have to stop service :wave2:
This classe-D has huge and very good bass with control, details. It has extremely good low-highs, cimbals explode in my living-room like never before.
All of this is really enjoyable :)

Regards,
Yannick

Use LDRs as your volume control and you may never want to use another pot, TVC, AVC, DVC, SA, or preamp again, tube or otherwise ;)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
What would be the wise way to add a fan to a chassis for the V2 board? I will be using the 31VDC HP SMPS mentioned earlier in the thread and want to keep things safe and cool.

Do I need a separate board to draw 5V for a quiet 12V fan? Or should I just get the 24V Meanwell SMPS and not worry about burning the 2050 chips?

I'm concerned because there is a slight bend in the pcb when I tighten the sink screws enough so that the sink is snug against the chips. I stacked a few plastic washers on the screws to fix the bend, but it didn't work entirely.

What would be the wise way to add a fan to a chassis for the V2 board? I will be using the 31VDC HP SMPS mentioned earlier in the thread and want to keep things safe and cool.

Do I need a separate board to draw 5V for a quiet 12V fan? Or should I just get the 24V Meanwell SMPS and not worry about burning the 2050 chips?

I'm concerned because there is a slight bend in the pcb when I tighten the sink screws enough so that the sink is snug against the chips. I stacked a few plastic washers on the screws to fix the bend, but it didn't work entirely.

Sorry for that. New boards now add some brace, the height of brace(or washer) is very important, so does rigidity.

Greetings,
I have a question : in the v2 manuel schematic it is written the volume pot is a 2 x 20K, but I have read it is supposed to be 2 x 50K.
So ? 20K or 50K ?
By the way, I plan to try the board without any pot, in order to use my all in one line+phono tube preamp.
What is the best way to get rid of the pot ?
In order to keep the amp's input impedance : I think I should replace it with sams value resistance : do you confirm ?
Thank you for the answers,
Regards,

input termination

Greetings,
I have a question : in the v2 manuel schematic it is written the volume pot is a 2 x 20K, but I have read it is supposed to be 2 x 50K.
So ? 20K or 50K ?
By the way, I plan to try the board without any pot, in order to use my all in one line+phono tube preamp.
What is the best way to get rid of the pot ?
In order to keep the amp's input impedance : I think I should replace it with sams value resistance : do you confirm ?
Thank you for the answers,
Regards,
The input terminating resistor you put back doesn't have to be the same value. You may try values ranging from none, which will still see the virtual ground through the 20k gain setting resistor, to 200k to 5k. Whatever your preamp sounds best with. A tube pre will probably rather have 100k or greater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.