New TK2050 board - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2010, 01:57 AM   #261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Further reading into the spec:

"To drive loads having very low impedance obtaining higher output power it is possible to furtherly
connect together on the same load two STA50x IC's (each one already configured as
single-paralleled bridge) doubling the current capability.
The correct connection is putting together the inductor (L1 with L3 and L2 with L4) terminals
on the load side. This to avoid uncontrolled shootrough current spikes, due to time mismatch
between the two IC's, which could be possible if the outputs are directly paralleled on the same
inductor.
The L and C values of the output filter have to be calculated tacking in account the load impedance:
to be noted that the inductance is now provided by two self-inductors in parallel (L1/
/L3 and L2//L4), so each one must have double value.
The inputs must be driven in parallel."

I guess some modification in the output filter is required... But certainly a mono configuration with two sta505 in parallel is possible (idea for next version)
We also have to take care of feedback circuit then.
Old 21st June 2010, 03:39 PM   #262
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Chassis orientation

What are some ideas for putting all this into a handmade chassis?
I'm certainly open to suggestions for orientation.

Click the image to open in full size.

The IEC socket on the smps is at the end opposite the visible cord.
I'm currently thinking that I'd put it all in a an aluminum box such that the amp would be above the smps, with a copper plate between the two for shielding.

Too crazy?

Or is this more reasonable?

Would this create too long a distance to route the input cables?

I'd prefer to have the IEC socket at the "rear," while the pot shaft would be at the "front."

Thanks!
Old 21st June 2010, 04:46 PM   #263
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

I've already got cold feet. I think I'll keep it simple and leave the smps outside.
Old 21st June 2010, 05:00 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

How important is the length of the input cable? I mean, normally the cable from the source to the amp is much longer.
Old 21st June 2010, 05:28 PM   #265
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The length of the input cable is of some concern, however, the length of the cable *after* the pot is of much more concern, as the signal is very weak there. On this board the pot to chip length is almost zero, as the pot is onboard. The traces on the pcb have a length though.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:54 AM   #266
diyAudio Member

Default Single chip version sample

I received this sample from hifimediy today.
It the single chip version. This one uses sta508, and should produce 2*80W at 8 ohm. Hifimediy says it can drive 4ohm speakers, but output will be lower around 40W, and in that case, it's best to also use lower voltage for higher current, below 20V.
I have tested it for a couple of hours, and it sounds pretty good. It's hard to say yet how it compares to the other board, they are not night and day. It certainly sounds good also! The tc2000 chip is still the same, so they should sound quite similar.
Also, its just DC input.

Hifimediy says he will make two versions of this, one with the alps pot, which will cost around 7-8 usd more than the other, and one with the same ctr pot as the other board. I want to ask here what people think about different options. I think it might be a good idea to offer one version with alps pot, and the other version without any pot. There should't be too many versions I think.

We are still testing these, so there will be some weeks before they will be offered for sale.

Last edited by Nick122147; 22nd June 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: photo size
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:58 PM   #267
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

How tight are the windings on those inductors? They don't look particularly tight wound...

A few weeks ago I handled a TK2350 amplifier with one inductor that got terribly hot after a while. Turned out this was caused by loose windings. After I fixed the windings it ran stone cold again...
Old 22nd June 2010, 04:45 PM   #268
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
I received this sample from hifimediy today.
It the single chip version. This one uses sta508, and should produce 2*80W at 8 ohm. Hifimediy says it can drive 4ohm speakers, but output will be lower around 40W, and in that case, it's best to also use lower voltage for higher current, below 20V.
I have tested it for a couple of hours, and it sounds pretty good. It's hard to say yet how it compares to the other board, they are not night and day. It certainly sounds good also! The tc2000 chip is still the same, so they should sound quite similar.
Also, its just DC input.

Apologize in advance if I'm boring everyone with my mono requirements, but this unit seems to lend itself to be used as single BLT (figure 7 of http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...e/an/10606.pdf) with very few modifications. I would be interested in a mono version also or instructions in converting it from double blt (figure 6 I suppose) to single paralleled blt (figure 7). The power dissipation will remain the same in the chip but more current will be delivered to the speaker... Thanks for the good work.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:43 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

Change state on the config pin on the STA508 and connect the outputs together. Ideally one would use a single output filter, but two in parallel can't hurt either I gues....

Or get someone to build you an AMP11 from 41hz, or better an AMP11-HV....
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:44 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

P.S., can we see a bottom pic of that board too?

Hide this!Advertise here!