New TK2050 board - Page 214 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2012, 08:31 AM   #2131
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanlation View Post
hifimediy, can you please describe the procedure for grounding the unused channel?
Should I use a ground bus bar and connect both +/- outputs from the unused channel to the ground bar using two separate wires?

Last edited by zanlation; 11th August 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11th August 2012, 09:05 AM   #2132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Should I use a ground bus bar and connect both +/- outputs from the unused channel to the ground bar using two separate wires?
A bus bar like this: Blue Sea 2300, 150 Ampere Common BusBar 10 x #8-32 Screw Terminal w/Cover Part | eBay
Old 11th August 2012, 09:50 AM   #2133
diyAudio Member

Just connect red (or white) input wire to black.
Old 11th August 2012, 02:17 PM   #2134
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
please describe the procedure for grounding the unused channel?
you can simply short the un-used channel input to the middle pin on the input connector (signal ground)
Old 11th August 2012, 04:25 PM   #2135
diyAudio Member

Hey hifimediy and other experts.
I have broken already two Hifimediy T1 TK2050 STA510-amps the same manner. Only modification I have done on the amp is to increase the gain by switching input resistors R2 and R3 from 22kOhm to 56kOhm. Both amplifiers have broken after use of 15-20hours. Looking at the two boards i noticed that resistor B1 has burned and the STA510 soldertags.

Any clue what has gone wrong? Is the gain increase too big? I use a sony MP3-player as a sound source. Could short circuiting the mp3 input cause this, because i noticed that my wirings have been quite bad and this could possibly have happened. Another cause could be that it has overheated since i play it quite loud and the amp is in a 20x15cm box with ventilation holes size of a fingertip. My power source is a lithium ion battery with voltage range of 24-33V.

Here is a photo of the burned resistor.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...811_180853.jpg

Last edited by whelibob; 11th August 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11th August 2012, 04:58 PM   #2136
diyAudio Member

Its getting quite expensive to use my ghettoblaster if i have to change the amp once a month. So it would be nice to know what have i done wrong.

Here is the burned chip:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...811_185319.jpg

All other components seem to be ok.
Old 11th August 2012, 05:32 PM   #2137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelibob View Post
Hey hifimediy and other experts.
I have broken two Hifimediy T1 TK2050 STA510-amps the same way. Only modification I have done on the amp is to increase the gain by switching input resistors R2 and R3 values from 22kOhm to 56kOhm. Both amplifiers have broken after use of 15-20hours. Looking at the board i noticed that resistor B1 has burned and the STA510 soldertags.

Any clue what has gone wrong? Is the gain increase too big? I use a sony MP3-player as a sound source. Could short circuiting the mp3 input cause this, because i noticed that my wirings have been quite bad and this could possibly have happened. Another cause could be that it has overheated since i play it quite loud and the amp is in a 20x15cm box with ventilation holes size of a fingertip.

Here is a photo of the burned resistor.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...811_180853.jpg
B1 is a beam between signal ground and power Ground. Strange that it burned Hifimediy may have some ideas...

You have increased gain a lot !
The input gain is set by R2/R1 (and R3/R5), all identical (20K on T1 schematic). The full gain is also impacted by other resistors. By memory, the full gain of T1 is set to 15 V/V by default, consistent with a power supply voltage at about 30Vdc.

You have set input gain to 56/22= 2.5 ! I can't tell if this is why your amps burned, but it's definitively not a good thing to do. Chips can become unstable (oscillate) if gain is too high.

The tk2050 input sensitivity is about 4Vpp (1.5Vrms). A typical mp3 player plays at about 1Vrms max. I would not exceed R2=33K (33/22=1.5) and carefully check stability and temperature when increasing volume, step by step.
Old 11th August 2012, 06:07 PM   #2138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
B1 is a beam between signal ground and power Ground. Strange that it burned Hifimediy may have some ideas...

You have increased gain a lot !
The input gain is set by R2/R1 (and R3/R5), all identical (20K on T1 schematic). The full gain is also impacted by other resistors. By memory, the full gain of T1 is set to 15 V/V by default, consistent with a power supply voltage at about 30Vdc.

You have set input gain to 56/22= 2.5 ! I can't tell if this is why your amps burned, but it's definitively not a good thing to do. Chips can become unstable (oscillate) if gain is too high.

The tk2050 input sensitivity is about 4Vpp (1.5Vrms). A typical mp3 player plays at about 1Vrms max. I would not exceed R2=33K (33/22=1.5) and carefully check stability and temperature when increasing volume, step by step.
It might be that the gain is too high. I have a T2 amp running now for a year without problems with two of the input resistors with a value of 47kOhm. I used 56kOhm because thats what i found easily from my locker. If i remember correct hifimediy said that 47kOhm is ok. But the stock 20-22kOhm is definately too low for my ghettoblaster use.
Old 11th August 2012, 07:18 PM   #2139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelibob View Post
It might be that the gain is too high. I have a T2 amp running now for a year without problems with two of the input resistors with a value of 47kOhm. I used 56kOhm because thats what i found easily from my locker. If i remember correct hifimediy said that 47kOhm is ok. But the stock 20-22kOhm is definately too low for my ghettoblaster use.
it's hard to tell not knowing the level. There is no benefit to set gain higher than necessary. It's worth investigating the max output level of your sources
Old 12th August 2012, 05:36 AM   #2140
diyAudio Member

I came across while surfing the net, as your do on a Sunday afternoon, and discovered bass shakers. This got my mind thinking about using the spare channel on my T4 amplifier to output to a bass shaker. So, two channels would be LR and the other two would be centre and bass shaker. Here's the catch... my centre speaker is 8ohms and the bass shaker is 4ohms. I only need 50W for the bass shaker so power isn't an issue, but having two different ohms speakers might. Thoughts anyone?

Hide this!Advertise here!