New TK2050 board - Page 194 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2011, 02:18 PM   #1931
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Hello, good to see your nice comments about T2-510a special edition. I enjoy this amp since spring. Its really a nice amp. I bet T3S will be even better

If you supply T2-510 at the same 27V, it does not deliver more power than regular T2. However, T2-510 has higher gain. If I remember correctly, 20V/V versus 15 for T1/T2. This gives the feeling of louder sound.

For the rest, I second your comments : it's a better chip and the amp is simply better.

You can power T2-510 up to 36V but take care of the temperature. 2x510a chips at 36V dissipate much more heat than 2x505 at 30V. The heatsink was sized for regular T2 and is undersized for T2-510a. Better put it in a large case.
Old 23rd November 2011, 04:21 PM   #1932
diyAudio Member

Maybe anyone's interested in my experiences. The 10.000 uF cap of T2 is in my opinion too small for torroidal and too big for smps. Just a compromise between 2 supply types. The T2 runs with a 1500 fast Panasonic much better preconditioned you use a smps. And smps is not smps. Listenning expreriences should determine finally how small the cap should be.

For T1 I would say that this board has a bit more soundstage and the bass is more punchy. But I got some trouble last times in connection with my smps. Buzz and fizzling out from smps and speakers. 2 x T1 up to now with problems. The T2 on other hand has a more tube like sweetness and no problems with my smps.

As alkasar mentioned and I hopefully understood right: With T2 you have to turn the volume more up than T1 to reach same level.
By the way: does anybody know which output voltage should be come from source for optimum gain ?
Old 26th November 2011, 10:54 AM   #1933
damarfi is offline damarfi  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Just to share with others, ordered from eBay new switching power supply s-350-48. Cheaper then Mean Well and offer free shipping. Hope will be good with Hifimediy T3s boards.
Seems that specs are slightly better then Mean Well. No fan and efficiency is higher, 86%, little bit heavier.
350W 48V 7.3A Regulated Switching Power Supply | eBay
Here is original spec from both units
http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-350/s-350-spec.pdf
http://www.chnwh.com/en/pdf/S-350W.pdf
Old 27th November 2011, 03:24 AM   #1934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Maybe anyone's interested in my experiences. The 10.000 uF cap of T2 is in my opinion too small for torroidal and too big for smps. Just a compromise between 2 supply types. The T2 runs with a 1500 fast Panasonic much better preconditioned you use a smps. And smps is not smps. Listenning expreriences should determine finally how small the cap should be.

For T1 I would say that this board has a bit more soundstage and the bass is more punchy. But I got some trouble last times in connection with my smps. Buzz and fizzling out from smps and speakers. 2 x T1 up to now with problems. The T2 on other hand has a more tube like sweetness and no problems with my smps.

As alkasar mentioned and I hopefully understood right: With T2 you have to turn the volume more up than T1 to reach same level.
By the way: does anybody know which output voltage should be come from source for optimum gain ?
1.5Vrms or about 4.2Vpp maximum for T1 through T4 and reach the maximum power on output.
Old 27th November 2011, 01:21 PM   #1935
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damarfi View Post
Just to share with others, ordered from eBay new switching power supply s-350-48. Cheaper then Mean Well and offer free shipping. Hope will be good with Hifimediy T3s boards.
Seems that specs are slightly better then Mean Well. No fan and efficiency is higher, 86%, little bit heavier.
350W 48V 7.3A Regulated Switching Power Supply | eBay
Here is original spec from both units
http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-350/s-350-spec.pdf
http://www.chnwh.com/en/pdf/S-350W.pdf
Yet another meanwell clone
Note that most of the clones are made of poor quality or refurbished parts. Up to you to take the risk for few $ savings.
Old 27th November 2011, 07:41 PM   #1936
damarfi is offline damarfi  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
Yet another meanwell clone
Note that most of the clones are made of poor quality or refurbished parts. Up to you to take the risk for few $ savings.
When I get it, will post my experience... I just don't see reason why Mean Well has to be reference in SMPS production in country of 1.4 billion people ? There are other companies as well which has good products and export around the world.
If specs are true, seems that one is better, no fan, better ripple and noise (150 mWp-p vs. 250 mWp-p), better efficiency (85% vs. 83%).
Old 27th November 2011, 09:13 PM   #1937
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yep, the T2 Special edition is special. I didn't change my meanwell setting from where I had it with the other amps, the T1 Alps and T2 4700. It's almost all the way up, just backed off a bit.

The T2 has the punch of the T1 and the warm sweet sound of the T2 4700. alkasar may be right about the gain, but that is just part of the sound! It also has more definition in the music, and with the notes going on in the background are clearer and more pronounced. It is just an amazing amp. I haven't plugged my T2 4700 back in since I fired up the T2 Special addition.

My wife has told me no more amps, so I would have to sneak another T2 Special in. I better wait.

I haver a better chance of getting an 36v meanwell for it, I may be able to BS her on that. lol I want to hear it with the 35v ps.

Cheers!
Old 27th November 2011, 09:14 PM   #1938
diyAudio Member

36v Meanwell
Old 29th November 2011, 11:19 PM   #1939
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

I got 2x T1-M recently. Very happy so far. Running at 12V, seems to be plenty of power though I'm yet to test at 'doof volumes'.

Noise is quite acceptable. Inaudible with my woofers and subs. With my 113db/W compression drivers I'm using a ~10db L-Pad and I need my ear within ~30-40cm to hear the noise.

Best part is there are no dangerous voltages involved - great for those of us who are prone to silly DIY mistakes and poor technique. And cheap!
Old 30th November 2011, 02:03 PM   #1940
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
1.5Vrms or about 4.2Vpp maximum for T1 through T4 and reach the maximum power on output.
Thanks ...

Hide this!Advertise here!