New TK2050 board - Page 170 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2011, 09:23 PM   #1691
Donka is offline Donka  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi,

It looks like the MeanWell's that Hifi is selling are the old S-Series with lower efficiency and much lower switching. Where as the newer SE-Series are near 90% efficient and operate at 90kHz switching vs. 25kHz on the old S-series. The figures on the SE are what I associate with MW supply's, and since the ones I've bought are from reputable US electronics distributors it probably explains why I've never had issues.

I know you're a competitor to Hifi, but was wondering if you feel your newest SMPS-300W is enough for a HiFi T3? Are your designs tested for any EN standards? Is the 300W derated from a higher wattage based on passive vs. active cooling, if so what is the rated wattage w/ active cooling and CFM flow required?

Secondly,

Anybody out there using the HiFi T3 or TA3020? Has anybody compared then to the Truepath or Amp 2 (TK2350) amps? Looks like we need a 300W T-Amp shootout.
Old 25th May 2011, 04:29 PM   #1692
jtjy is offline jtjy  Singapore
diyAudio Member

how do i make my hifimediy v1 amp into power amp. Which component should i short?
Old 25th May 2011, 08:52 PM   #1693
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

@donka : Yes the meanwell S series is old. They are not officially sold out of China (not compliant with EU or US regulations). The other meanwell series are better, and significantly more expensive.

search for Bernie7 posts in this topic. He has T3 and published pictures. Haven't seen anyone doing A/B comparison with TA3020 yet. tk2350 is rarely seen.

@jtjy : just turn the pot at full volume and you're done
If you think it makes a difference, unsolder or short the pot.
Old 26th May 2011, 07:52 PM   #1694
diyAudio Member

Im about to buy a Hifimediy T1 amp without volume pot since it is going into a ghettoblaster and the volume will be adjusted via mp3-player. Does this amplifier require me to install some of my own volumepots or will it work without it?

Is it also possible to change input impendance so that it i will get enough power out of the amp with an mp3-player. I did this with the V1 amp as hifimediy instructed me to do and works great.
Old 26th May 2011, 08:36 PM   #1695
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelibob View Post
Im about to buy a Hifimediy T1 amp without volume pot since it is going into a ghettoblaster and the volume will be adjusted via mp3-player. Does this amplifier require me to install some of my own volumepots or will it work without it?

Is it also possible to change input impendance so that it i will get enough power out of the amp with an mp3-player. I did this with the V1 amp as hifimediy instructed me to do and works great.
You don't need a volume pot.

You also don't need to change the input impedance You might - MIGHT - want to change the gain, if the mp3 player doesn't play loud enough. But I think it will be OK though. (If you want to change the gain, you have to swap two resistors.)
Old 27th May 2011, 04:31 AM   #1696
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Finally I assembled my T1 STA510 + meanwell 350. I have small kids so I put them directly on the chassis for safety reason. Finished at 02:00 AM, it didn't turn on at first try then I realized that the power supply polarity was reversed.

The bass is better than expectation. But the mid is too much and the high is kinda muffled. I listened it again this morning, and it still sound the same. I believe that some burn in will solve all those problems. Mine has Wima as input caps.

One problem: the heatshink gets very hot after only couple of minutes. Is it normal ?

Next step will be to swap the Alps to attenuator and input caps to PIO K75 which receives very good review on this amp in one french hifi forum (pointed by one of poster here, I'm glad I can speak french). The one recommended is 2.2uf 500v but I can only find 250v, will there be any penalty on the sound compared to 500v version ?

Then put in some good quality connectors. My plan is to have a full digital music system : PC with Vortexbox OS playing FLACs > DAC > Tripath Amp.

Thanks to Nick & hifimediy crew for great support & service (the package reached my country from China in only 4 days, but stranded in local post office for nearly 2 weeks !!!)

Last edited by i2k92; 27th May 2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 27th May 2011, 07:58 AM   #1697
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
One problem: the heatshink gets very hot after only couple of minutes. Is it normal ?
These amps get warm even when iddle. My T2 goes up to 45C. It seems hot when you put your fingers on it, but it's ok and lot of margin versus chip specs.

Quote:
Next step will be to swap the Alps to attenuator and input caps to PIO K75 which receives very good review on this amp in one french hifi forum (pointed by one of poster here, I'm glad I can speak french). The one recommended is 2.2uf 500v but I can only find 250v, will there be any penalty on the sound compared to 500v version ?
500V are hard to find. From time to time, some are available on eaby.
Some people have tried both 250 and 500V and found a difference. Minimal though.
Old 27th May 2011, 04:10 PM   #1698
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
These amps get warm even when iddle. My T2 goes up to 45C. It seems hot when you put your fingers on it, but it's ok and lot of margin versus chip specs.

500V are hard to find. From time to time, some are available on eaby.
Some people have tried both 250 and 500V and found a difference. Minimal though.
merci bcp alkasar, knowing the heat is normal now I can sleep well.

Fortunately, I just found PIO K75 2.2uf 500v locally for just about 20$ a pair delivered. C'est pas cher non ?

a+ et bon weekend.

Last edited by i2k92; 27th May 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 27th May 2011, 04:53 PM   #1699
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Fortunately, I just found PIO K75 2.2uf 500v locally for just about 20$ a pair delivered. C'est pas cher non ?

a+ et bon weekend.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:48 PM   #1700
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

a+ et bon weekend.
They won't make any difference that you can measure. Besides $20 is a lot of nasi goreng in Indonesia ;-)

col.

Hide this!Advertise here!