New TK2050 board - Page 164 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2011, 05:51 PM   #1631
kc7wdg is offline kc7wdg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
hey guys, why don't you open a dedicated topic to talk about batteries ?
I second that lots of stuff not related directly to hifimediy stuffs. It sounds more like an "ad" for red wine products and the epay battery sellers.
Old 4th May 2011, 06:22 PM   #1632
diyAudio Member

Default T2 amp + preamp

Hi,
I'm planning to couple a T2 board to my exsting NAD preamp. I'm keeping the pre mostly because it's very good phono stage and the many sound reproducing machines I have.

Some pages before I've read that the Sta505 risks burning if feeded with more than 5V line input.

The pre has a max ouptu voltage of 12V @ 220 Ohms, so well above the danger zone.

Is there something I can do to avoid the risk of burning the module with a peak/pop?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 4th May 2011, 06:39 PM   #1633
diyAudio Member

Default Sorry, Batteries are NOT off topic...

Quote:
hey guys, why don't you open a dedicated topic to talk about batteries ?
Your suggestion has merit, I suspect there is much to be gained and shared by having a dedicated thread.

However it is DEFINITELY on topic with regard to the TK2050 !! Why?

Because it turns out that the power supply qualities (or limitations) seem to define so much of the actual performance of these Tripath amplifiers. In my experience, the power supply has been a far more determinant factor in the quality than the mods to the inputs, etc.

And the Tripath amps need only +V to drive them, making them ideal for battery supplies! It's a very synergistic combination. And it can go a long way toward freeing us from ground plane contamination and the AC mains line with all of its noise pollution, $1000+ power filters, $500USD power cables, etc.

If some here are very happy with smps that's great!
But that should not stop others who are also interested in battery power from participating in THIS thread, because certainly for some of us, battery power + Tripath amps has so far been the best way to get good sound, and good sound for low cost!

Alkasar, please consider this:
if there were a great smps mod, or new type or brand of smps that radically improves the sound of your amp boards, would you not want that to be discussed here? I know I would!

Listen, these discussions stimulate interest in alternatives, and since in my experience the combination of batteries with Tripath modules leads to BIG improvements over smps, please indulge us just a little bit while we explore the synergy.

Look, what we're all seeking for is the best sound we can get, right? Your contributions have definitely been valuable to me, and I'm sure to many others. I intend to try a pair of the T2 modules using the 510A precisely because of your comments.

Now let me return the favor:
If you actually tried these LiFePo4 batteries, perhaps you might find that these battery discussions actually do have merit, and actually do belong here. And you might be very surprised, as I was at first, at just how much improvement the LiFePo4 battery-pack brings to the Tripath sound.

The difference has been MUCH bigger, clearly audible to all who have compared, and better by an order of magnitude (!!) than any other mod I have tried. So I'd like to encourage others to try this and share in the enjoyment!

BTW: No, I'm not advertising, nor making any money from batteries! I got into the Tripath thing a long time ago and am very pleased to hear how good it can be!

And of course, I will continue tweaking, looking for even more of that magic !

Last edited by Jack Caldwell; 4th May 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 4th May 2011, 07:58 PM   #1634
kc7wdg is offline kc7wdg  United States
diyAudio Member

Then start a thread about battery powering tripath amps in general...
Old 4th May 2011, 08:07 PM   #1635
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portomomo View Post
Hi,
I'm planning to couple a T2 board to my exsting NAD preamp. I'm keeping the pre mostly because it's very good phono stage and the many sound reproducing machines I have.
maybe you have more luck. My test was a flop. Combined a Rega Mira prestage with the sure-board. Though that the sure-board offers gain adjusment and I am sure I did adjust right - the sound overall was a bit distorted and localisation lacked. I remember that direct connection of the CD Player sounded much better.
Quote:
The pre has a max ouptu voltage of 12V @ 220 Ohms, so well above the danger zone.
12 V ??? I am really confuse now. Isnīt that too much for a pre out ?
Old 4th May 2011, 08:15 PM   #1636
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7wdg View Post
You can simply overview these passages. And imho, I donīt think thatīs off topic. The discussers are interested in that theme regarding Hifimediy amps and not Tripaths generally ...
Old 4th May 2011, 08:55 PM   #1637
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

Some pages before I've read that the Sta505 risks burning if feeded with more than 5V line input.

Is there something I can do to avoid the risk of burning the module with a peak/pop?

Cheers
12V is too much for any amp! Are you sure its not a typo ?

consumer electronics standard is 2Vrms output.
220ohms output impedance is excellent.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:58 PM   #1638
diyAudio Member

Default It's about getting the best sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7wdg View Post
Just what is your problem?

Perhaps you could tell us what we are permitted to post about. Give us your checklist: output chips? Input coupling caps? SMPS news? If you do this we promise we'll keep it to only what YOU want to read about.

Moral:
If you don't have an interest, skip over the battery parts.

BTW: The posts we have made are not just about batteries, it's about how to get the best sound, whether by battery, linear, smps or hyper-thermic plasma discharge... And I've been contributing specific information about which hifimediy boards would work specifically with +26.4V battery supplies and the +36V supplies.

I invite you to go back and re-read the end of Post #1626

kc7wdg, I'm trying to offer something here that may be of real value to many readers because it gets a REAL improvement to the sound. Not interesting to you? So sorry.

BTW What have you offered so far? I'd love to hear about your direct hands-on experience and what has worked for you.

Contribute something of value. Otherwise, please keep your peace.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:43 PM   #1639
diyAudio Member

Quote:
12V is too much for any amp! Are you sure its not a typo ?

consumer electronics standard is 2Vrms output.
220ohms output impedance is excellent.
I assume he's got the line-output voltage mixed up with the 12v Trigger output
Old 4th May 2011, 10:21 PM   #1640
diyAudio Member

Default 12 V out on the preamp?

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Is that 12V peak to peak or RMS? That's a pretty high figure if it's real. But even if it is, it is likely that you would run into massive audible clipping from the amp well before you get near that 5V figure.

With the 15V/V gain that the hifimediy has, a 2.5V input would generate a 37.5V swing... which goes way beyond the power supply's capacity when set at 30V... the result will sound horrendous as it will be in full clipping and you will probably want to turn it down.
If you put in a 5V waveform, the result will sound like a square wave and drive you screaming to "turn that damned thing down!!"

The probability of damaging your amps before you damage your hearing is not very high!

For example, the Burson Buffer AB-160 can put out over 10V, so can the DEQX and the AudioResearch and Conrad-Johnson tube pre-amps, among others... but almost no one uses them at that level.... and to date there have not been any reports of people burning out the inputs on their amps or pre-amps, Tripath or otherwise.

The industry standard of 2V out is there to show what a line-stage or pre-amp will need to put out as a MINIMUM in order to drive the amp to full output.
A 5V maximum on the hifimediy is a fairly decent safety margin.

So don't worry about it. The amp will exhibit audible clipping at any levels exceeding about 2V. You'll hear that as clearly audible distortion.

Hide this!Advertise here!