New TK2050 board - Page 154 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2011, 08:42 PM   #1531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
The T1 is recommended for 8 ohm speakers. Do you consider the T1 to be similar quality to the T2?
Although I have not listened to a T1 I can imagine that this could be a solid product meanwhile. As I know there were only small issues in the past with the T1 on/off switch system which should be solved meanwhile.
My T4 end opinion and review is still open. I think I have to change first the source and connection types to eliminate the noise and light hum issues.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:34 PM   #1532
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That volume control kit isn't at all bad for an average amp, but for top quality it isn't really.

A ladder isn't so much different from a pot at the higher end of the scale, but as you turn it down you should definitely hear a difference. Even an ALPS blue is a total piece of crap at the beginning of the scale. Off course this isn't always a problem. Depends much on what part of the scale you use on average. My hearing tends to grow much more sensitive during the late hours, and so do the ones of my neighbours.

A good PGA chip volume control kit is also top notch quality attenuation, certainly, but there are some cheap ones that don't have the best specs. A friend of mine has a whole bunch of them and really knows much about them and he said that he always buys the cheap kits and then swaps the chip for a good quality one....
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:59 PM   #1533
diyAudio Member

Default T2 Review after a few weeks of listening

Hi,

I've had my T2 with Meanwell now playing on and off for around 3 weeks. I have heard many Tripath chips and amps so I really know and like the sound. The TA2020 chip has been my favorite sounding chip hands down.

Ok now I have the T2 TK2050 based chip amp and it has it's own sound. I like it a lot, and it is of course is more powerful than the TA2020. It is very open and airy and has a very wide soundfield, and produces a different bass, all very good. It just lacks a little bit of the layering of the TA2020 chip amps, but still sounds great! It is probably the closest amp I've heard yet to get to the musicality and perfectly paced layering of the soundfield that the TA2020 amp lays down though. That being said after hours of listening I believe that the T2 can do even better with a different power supply than the recommended meanwell. I have already tried a different PS that didn't work out, and now have another one coming on Monday. But the potential of the T2 with the right power supply could be huge, imo!

I just ordered a T1 with the ALPS, can't wait to check out the T1!!! I also ordered another T2 with the 4700uf, the one I have now is a 10000uf model.

I report back on the new PS
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:53 PM   #1534
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Although I have not listened to a T1 I can imagine that this could be a solid product meanwhile. As I know there were only small issues in the past with the T1 on/off switch system which should be solved meanwhile.
My T4 end opinion and review is still open. I think I have to change first the source and connection types to eliminate the noise and light hum issues.
Thanks very much for responding. As luck would have it Tripath07 is just now ordering a T1 with Alps pot (the one I would get) so he will be able to compare the T1 & T2. Should be interesting.

Good luck in getting your T4 issues resolved.

Rod
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:58 PM   #1535
diyAudio Member

Has anyone seen distortion figures on these amps T1, 2, 3 & 4. I recall someone mentioning figures for the chips but not the finished amps?

I've heard that typically Class D amps are very clean up to about their 50 or 60% power point, and then distortion starts to really rise. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any information you may have.

Rod
Old 24th April 2011, 01:36 AM   #1536
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Can T1/T2 uses following meanwell PS :
S-201-24 8,3A / 24VDC
S-250-24 10A / 24VDC
S-350-24 14,5A / 24VDC

They can be adjusted up to 26.4volt, very close to recommended 27volt. They're available locally, so I can avoid high shipping cost & custom tax.

Questions :
If I get the cheaper S-201 will it degrade the sound quality ?
My speaker is Quad 11L 86db 6 ohm. Which one will work better: T1 or T2. I don't think I need bigger power of T3.

thanks in advance.
Old 24th April 2011, 05:29 AM   #1537
diyAudio Member

Default distortion levels

Quote:
Has anyone seen distortion figures on these amps T1, 2, 3 & 4. I recall someone mentioning figures for the chips but not the finished amps?

I've heard that typically Class D amps are very clean up to about their 50 or 60% power point, and then distortion starts to really rise. Can anyone confirm this?

Rod
Hi Rod, the distortion for most of the Tripath based amps will be under 0.01%, usually in the 0.007%THD range through about 70 to 80% of their max output at the max rated supply voltage. And they are usually below 0.1% at about 90% of full output.

Can't comment on other class D amps such as Hypex, etc., I didn't like their sound nearly as much and did not go further with any of them.

In some cases, like the Virtue versions of the Tripath amps, for brief periods, they will actually put out over 120W RMS into a 3 ohm at a still very low distortion level, and much more before hard clipping. For this you will need a very good supply, I use the RedWine Audio LFP battery packs, and the sound is stunningly good.

Also please consider that 70W into 4 ohms is only about 1.4dB less output than 100W, it's hardly noticeable!

The other good thing about the Tripath implementations is that the distortion is usually very similar at low vs high drive levels, whereas with most amps it climbs as you go down in level.

At the prices of these Hifimediy, Helder or Sure amps you can't go wrong!
Old 24th April 2011, 11:30 AM   #1538
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bro View Post
A good PGA chip volume control kit is also top notch quality attenuation, certainly, but there are some cheap ones that don't have the best specs. A friend of mine has a whole bunch of them and really knows much about them and he said that he always buys the cheap kits and then swaps the chip for a good quality one....
Yes, as you said it depends on your personal requirements if a high class solution should be purchased or not. I think in the diy price range it can make sense to invest 30 $ more to get a better one while you have to pay for example 300 $ more to get same feature in a finished buyable amp or a popular manufacturer.

Do you know a seller who offers good PGA kits which can be supplied by battery ? On the other hand you make conclusions about the quality of kits you never have tested. In one chinese offer I shown above I contacted the seller and wanted to know which power supply they use for their finished preamps with this kits. It seemed not to be the best quality because of chinese characters I saw on the torroidal. But is this issue just enough to make early conclusions about the quality ? Usually you are right. Most of the sellers donīt care about workmanship quality. In the main it is important just to advert: "PGA2311 - best high end". I agree full with you that the chip is not lonely responsible for the end result ...

I think I make a risk purchase with gambling money and order next time a cheap pga2311 kit. That because I have 2x6 V AC extra available on my torroidal.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:54 AM   #1539
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Rod
search this topic for T2 board distorsion measurements by Hifimediy. Post #712
New TK2050 board
Old 24th April 2011, 12:00 PM   #1540
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
Hi,

My speaker is Quad 11L 86db 6 ohm. Which one will work better: T1 or T2. I don't think I need bigger power of T3.

thanks in advance.
I think you are sure that these are 6 Ohms. For the power recommendations of bookshelf speakers it is usually more power needed than for stand speakers. And 86 dB is not the best efficiency. To produce correct and powerful bass out from small cabinets you should go for the powerful models.

I would look for the Hifimediy TA3020 board in your case. But this board is not to build up so easy like the T1 or T2. Go for more power. The T4 or the T3 could be also interesting alternatives ...

Hide this!Advertise here!