New TK2050 board - Page 152 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2011, 08:05 AM   #1511
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

This is probably because ground is made on more than one point to the AGND of the amplifier board.

To diagnose this you have to find the one and only point where AGND and PGND are connected. With a god design this is a ferrite choke, cheaper designs use either a zero ohms resistor or just a PCB trace. You can remove this connection and then measure if the grounds are floating with regards to the casing or each other. They should not connect when the single connection is removed.

Very common with hum problems is also poor/poorly assembled input wiring.
Old 17th April 2011, 09:31 AM   #1512
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

These amps do not have noise issues. They are totally silent, even with highly sensitive speakers.

second v-bro with that: most of the noise issues in my experience came from input wiring/soldering issues. Usually easy to fix.
In rare cases, it helped to connect amp power ground to chassis with meanwell earth also connected to chassis.
Old 17th April 2011, 10:10 AM   #1513
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
In rare cases, it helped to connect amp power ground to chassis with meanwell earth also connected to chassis.
Surely this can help, but it usually indicates another problem. These problems are best solved at the cause, and not patched by compromising safety and risk of ground loops.

And then if the connection needs to be made, use a breaker circuit such as described here:
Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques
Old 18th April 2011, 12:52 AM   #1514
diyAudio Member

I want to thank Nick Steinar for helping me narrow down the cause... Well, it turns out that white 3-post input connector is supremely wonky; jiggling it around revealed that it wasn't making good contact on any of the three posts, actually.

Out went the connector and the input wire was soldered through the holes on the board. Thanks to all replying, it was a grounding issue after all.

Last edited by progress0r; 18th April 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 18th April 2011, 01:02 AM   #1515
diyAudio Member

Here's the resulting amp; it sounds AMAZING. I've got a modded Sonic T-amp which is excellent, but the T1 is simply superb.

I'm still breaking it in, but WOW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (158.6 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg closeup_rear.jpg (157.1 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg top_headon.jpg (212.9 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg closeup_front.jpg (129.7 KB, 421 views)
Old 18th April 2011, 06:56 AM   #1516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progress0r View Post
Well, it turns out that white 3-post input connector is supremely wonky; jiggling it around revealed that it wasn't making good contact on any of the three posts, actually.

Out went the connector and the input wire was soldered through the holes on the board. Thanks to all replying, it was a grounding issue after all.
this is my main suspicious in my case ! I checked up T4 recently and have noticed a very slight hum and an intensive noise. I try to solder them tightly on the board and fix the cinch outputs in better way.

You seem to be right - I find this white plastic plug as a real weak point of the board.
Old 18th April 2011, 07:44 PM   #1517
diyAudio Member

I NEED HELP !! Today arrived my T4...I connected it to the meanwell, signal input, and output to 8ohm speakers; I turned PSU on but T4 amp did not turned on! Any ideas? I connected AC and ground to the meanwell, DC to T4 amp, as shown on the board( side connectors DC, center empty). There is tension at DC input on the T4 board, because I've measured it.... Could someone help me??
Old 19th April 2011, 09:47 PM   #1518
diyAudio Member

OK. SOLVED. - on center, + on the right plug.
T4 sounds very good but it becomes better the more it sounds...it's early to tell something more...
Old 21st April 2011, 04:10 AM   #1519
gethin is offline gethin  Canada
diyAudio Member

Got my new amp (I just ordered a new one minus the pot), replacement coming soon too to replace the one that went south. Great service from Steinar.

Soldered in the old alps pot from the damaged one. I removed the heatsink on the new one and wet sanded the paint off the bottom with 400 then 1000 wet or dry and cleaned up the chip and applied some fresh heatsink compound. Amp sounds great, she's running on 36v........The heatsink seems to be getting hotter than the last one I had. Maybe the heatsink mod making it transfer more heat? So far so good !!
Old 21st April 2011, 09:36 AM   #1520
diyAudio Member

Default Heatsink temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethin View Post
Got my new amp (I just ordered a new one minus the pot), replacement coming soon too to replace the one that went south. Great service from Steinar.

Soldered in the old alps pot from the damaged one. I removed the heatsink on the new one and wet sanded the paint off the bottom with 400 then 1000 wet or dry and cleaned up the chip and applied some fresh heatsink compound. Amp sounds great, she's running on 36v........The heatsink seems to be getting hotter than the last one I had. Maybe the heatsink mod making it transfer more heat? So far so good !!
Yeah, great service from Steinar
About the temperature...I made this thought: if you look at the datasheet of these DDX amps, efficiency increases up to about 90% after 5-6W; if you use lower power (=lower volume) probably the chip gets hotter...I've noticed this yesterday night listening to T4 at very low volume: the heatsink became hotter than the day before, at higher volume...
just my 2c

Hide this!Advertise here!