New TK2050 board - Page 151 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2011, 04:13 PM   #1501
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commited View Post
The hiss occurs as soon as the relays click on Here's a picture of how it's all connected:
um.. connect power supplys V- and GND together. Also, use short, hi quality cables between source and amp.
Old 14th April 2011, 05:03 PM   #1502
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamphist View Post
um.. connect power supplys V- and GND together. Also, use short, hi quality cables between source and amp.

Have you seen the schematic? This should already be the case, otherwise the amp would not work at all.

I hope you don't mean the PS GND by the way, because that should really not be connected to the amplifier anywhere....
Old 14th April 2011, 07:46 PM   #1503
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Well, reports came in about the meanwell supply that connecting its gnd to its V- reduced the ripple (or something like it) by a noticeable amount.
Although, no reports about a reduction in hiss of any kind.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:52 PM   #1504
diyAudio Member

What ripple? It's a PWM operated power supply??? What noob wrote that?

Hiss is definitely not caused by the PS. Some distorted sounds might be, but definitely no white noise kind of hiss....
Old 14th April 2011, 11:26 PM   #1505
diyAudio Member

Well, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
I thought I share this with you:
Mean Well S145-24 with some 10mF and a 0.39 Ohm resistor in series with floating COM, picture taken at 20mV/div and 5us/div compared to COM tied to GND, at 5mV/div and 5us/div.

And I can hear this with a B1 buffer in front of the amp.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:32 AM   #1506
diyAudio Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does the "power down" output on the T4 do? Is it to connect a switch and put it in standby mode?

Also a more general question, where would I put a power switch, before or after the power supply? I see a lot of cool push button switches, but I can't find any rated for 120v.
Old 15th April 2011, 06:51 PM   #1507
diyAudio Member

Okay, an almost 50mV ripple at almost 60Khz, that's just not right! I wonder what he chose as voltage reference for the probe ground of the scope??

If that means you have to earth the output V- this is a poorly designed power supply!! Or not designed for audio....

The problem is when you earth the output you will definitely run in to ground loop problems with earthed sources..... Not very desirable.... Not really a 'solution'.....
Old 16th April 2011, 05:50 AM   #1508
diyAudio Member

Please remember that this meanwell that was tested is not the meanwell most people use.
If you have a meanwell, I hereby kindly request you to hook it up to a scope
Old 17th April 2011, 05:29 AM   #1509
diyAudio Member

Guys, I finally started working on my amp, based on ver1.2 with the 510A and the Alps pot. Using the Meanwell PSU at 28V.

I've got a problem that I don't yet know how to solve. I started testing with one speaker output, and I've got a loud buzz that kind of sounds like a ground loop buzz, but isn't because the source and the amp are running off the same outlet. Also, the music is very quiet, not only relative to the buzz but overall.

The buzz appears as I plug in the input wires from the source, and is present _occasionally_ even when I use a battery-powered source like the iPod. I've reset the DC offset (it wasn't that either, that's would just result in a hiss).

When I connect the input's ground to the power supply's ground, the buzz gets quieter--currently, the input's ground is isolated from the PSU's ground and is simply connected to the "input/ground" terminal on the amp.

How do I diagnose something like this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by progress0r; 17th April 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 17th April 2011, 06:23 AM   #1510
diyAudio Member

Actually, I hear the buzz with an iPod too, but it's a lot quieter.

Do you think this is a grounding issue? Does anybody know why the power terminals of the T1 amp are labeled V+ and GND (instead of V+ and V-)? I tried connecting the GND of the power terminal to the GND on the PSU and that did not work...

Hide this!Advertise here!