200-300 W class D amplifier? schematic? project? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2010, 12:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 200-300 W class D amplifier? schematic? project?

Ok so I need to build class-d amplifier for driving 8Ohm woofer.
This amp should be able to deliver 200-300 W Max.

I was thinking of using some LM or TDA Ics but there are none for this high power. I DON'T WANT TO USE BRIDGE AMPS.

So is there any way that I can put power transistors at the output of some TDA or LM 80W IC and boost it up to 300W with those transistors?

If this is not possible then can you show me some good and tested class AB amplifier that will have 200W-300W of power?

I was searching google over 2 days but can't find some good trusted and tested project.

Thank you
Old 18th March 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
I think you might want to look into kits or already builded ones, like ucd400... that one will give you ~200w into 8
Old 18th March 2010, 06:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

41Hz Audio:Truepath kit

I build this one and used a switch mode psu from red rocks audio in Spain.
Old 18th March 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well I am not looking for kit. I am very familiar with electronics and I am working with electronic long time. I have build lot of project. So I am looking for good schematic and PCB, everything else I'll make myself

I have build lot amplifiers based on TDA and LM and they work great but they are all not more than 100W.

For this project I need at least 200W and I would like to use power transistors instead of IC. For example IRF540N
Old 18th March 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you have any idea to design your amp using IC then take a look at TI pure path amp TAS series. I am doing a project with TAS5615 [300w] the PCB is fully compatible with TAS5630 [600W] also...

I just now finished my PCB design, i didn't tested the amp. My design is for your look... find the attachment
Attached Files
File Type: zip tas5615.zip (267.7 KB, 1500 views)
Old 18th March 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSoft View Post
Ok so I need to build class-d amplifier for driving 8Ohm woofer.
This amp should be able to deliver 200-300 W Max.

I was thinking of using some LM or TDA Ics but there are none for this high power. I DON'T WANT TO USE BRIDGE AMPS.

So is there any way that I can put power transistors at the output of some TDA or LM 80W IC and boost it up to 300W with those transistors?

If this is not possible then can you show me some good and tested class AB amplifier that will have 200W-300W of power?
OK this is a little off topic since it is not Class D, but you did specifically ask about Class AB and about using a LM chip to drive additional output transistors. So how about something like this:
new 300W LME49810 Mono channel Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 190374949690 end time Mar-23-10 10:43:11 PDT).
There are threads elsewhere on here discussing this amp, such as this one: Anyone recognise this Design..? based on LME49810
Old 18th March 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well I fount that there are not very good schematics for Class-D amps so I've decided to make this amplifier.

What do you think about it?

Thanks.

Specs:
> RMS ------------- 200-210W / 8 ohms
> RMS ------------- 300-320W / 4 ohms
> Music --------- 240-250W / 8 ohms
> muzička --------- 410-430W / 4 ohms

This design is very popular.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf subzerosema.pdf (33.5 KB, 1649 views)
Old 18th March 2010, 09:25 PM   #8
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
giving u already? to bad, since this forum has few, one would be from Fredos, just to name one
Old 18th March 2010, 09:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
giving u already? to bad, since this forum has few, one would be from Fredos, just to name one
Fredos? Hmmm I'll search it on the forum.

I can't find it. The search engine gives me too much results.

Anyway there is very little information about building quality Class-D amplifier that can deliver at least 200W on 8ohms load.

I was searching the TDA database and LM but they don't have anything over 100W and I think it is not possible to have more than 100W in single package because there wont be any way to cool it down.

So what is the solution? I really want class-D amp because they are much smaller and they are very efficient. I have two amps in class-D. They are both around 100W and they are based on TDA chips but I can't remember what models.

Last edited by DigiSoft; 18th March 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:13 AM   #10
81bas is offline 81bas  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSoft View Post
I was searching the TDA database and LM but they don't have anything over 100W and I think it is not possible to have more than 100W in single package because there wont be any way to cool it down.
Have looked to TAS5630 chip? It was mentioned here already.
And there is not so much to cool down, since this is a class-D amplifier and the efficiency is usually about 85-95%. So having 100W at output, you will need to dissipate only about 10-15W via heatsinks.

BTW, your previous schematic (subzero amp) is NOT a class-D amplifier

Hide this!Advertise here!