200-300 W class D amplifier? schematic? project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so I need to build class-d amplifier for driving 8Ohm woofer.
This amp should be able to deliver 200-300 W Max.

I was thinking of using some LM or TDA Ics but there are none for this high power. I DON'T WANT TO USE BRIDGE AMPS.

So is there any way that I can put power transistors at the output of some TDA or LM 80W IC and boost it up to 300W with those transistors?

If this is not possible then can you show me some good and tested class AB amplifier that will have 200W-300W of power?

I was searching google over 2 days but can't find some good trusted and tested project.

Thank you

Well I am not looking for kit. I am very familiar with electronics and I am working with electronic long time. I have build lot of project. So I am looking for good schematic and PCB, everything else I'll make myself :D

I have build lot amplifiers based on TDA and LM and they work great but they are all not more than 100W.

For this project I need at least 200W and I would like to use power transistors instead of IC. For example IRF540N

If you have any idea to design your amp using IC then take a look at TI pure path amp TAS series. I am doing a project with TAS5615 [300w] the PCB is fully compatible with TAS5630 [600W] also...

I just now finished my PCB design, i didn't tested the amp. My design is for your look... find the attachment

Attachments

• tas5615.zip
    267.7 KB · Views: 1,846

I was thinking of using some LM or TDA Ics but there are none for this high power. I DON'T WANT TO USE BRIDGE AMPS.

So is there any way that I can put power transistors at the output of some TDA or LM 80W IC and boost it up to 300W with those transistors?

If this is not possible then can you show me some good and tested class AB amplifier that will have 200W-300W of power?

OK this is a little off topic since it is not Class D, but you did specifically ask about Class AB and about using a LM chip to drive additional output transistors. So how about something like this:
new 300W LME49810 Mono channel Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 190374949690 end time Mar-23-10 10:43:11 PDT).
There are threads elsewhere on here discussing this amp, such as this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/155173-anyone-recognise-design-based-lme49810.html

Well I fount that there are not very good schematics for Class-D amps so I've decided to make this amplifier.

What do you think about it?

Thanks.

Specs:
> RMS ------------- 200-210W / 8 ohms
> RMS ------------- 300-320W / 4 ohms
> Music --------- 240-250W / 8 ohms
> muzička --------- 410-430W / 4 ohms

This design is very popular.

Attachments

• subzerosema.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,129
giving u already? to bad, since this forum has few, one would be from Fredos, just to name one

Fredos? Hmmm I'll search it on the forum.

I can't find it. The search engine gives me too much results.

Anyway there is very little information about building quality Class-D amplifier that can deliver at least 200W on 8ohms load.

I was searching the TDA database and LM but they don't have anything over 100W and I think it is not possible to have more than 100W in single package because there wont be any way to cool it down.

So what is the solution? I really want class-D amp because they are much smaller and they are very efficient. I have two amps in class-D. They are both around 100W and they are based on TDA chips but I can't remember what models.

Last edited:
I was searching the TDA database and LM but they don't have anything over 100W and I think it is not possible to have more than 100W in single package because there wont be any way to cool it down.

Have looked to TAS5630 chip? It was mentioned here already. :rolleyes:
And there is not so much to cool down, since this is a class-D amplifier and the efficiency is usually about 85-95%. So having 100W at output, you will need to dissipate only about 10-15W via heatsinks.

BTW, your previous schematic (subzero amp) is NOT a class-D amplifier :rolleyes:

Have looked to TAS5630 chip? It was mentioned here already. :rolleyes:
And there is not so much to cool down, since this is a class-D amplifier and the efficiency is usually about 85-95%. So having 100W at output, you will need to dissipate only about 10-15W via heatsinks.

BTW, your previous schematic (subzero amp) is NOT a class-D amplifier :rolleyes:

Yes I know it is not class-D but it is powerful :D

I can't find TAS5630 in my country so it is not an option.

Fredos? Hmmm I'll search it on the forum.

I can't find it. The search engine gives me too much results.

Anyway there is very little information about building quality Class-D amplifier that can deliver at least 200W on 8ohms load.

So what is the solution? I really want class-D amp because they are much smaller and they are very efficient. I have two amps in class-D. They are both around 100W and they are based on TDA chips but I can't remember what models.
Well do I really have to do everything for you, search engine is there for a reason... Fredos is the one that has designed it, then alexclaire redone it, to be diy friendly, he had tested it on +/-80v supply driving 4R load over 650w... so it will do over 300w into 8R

I have also do it, sound most impressive with lots of power

So now, will you take time to find it, which should be very easy by now...if this is not, don't even try to make class D, since its >>>>>>> harder then simple search for threads

The IRS2092 Reference Design is well documented (including pcb) and includes a 250x2 into 8 Ohm version.

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp7d.pdf

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1138.pdf

The Reference kit is available from DigiKey and there is a surface mount (board populated) version available from

Class D Audio Class D Power Amplifier, 250W X 2 - 8 Ohm

I have several of their 120x2 boards (which will give you 250 bridged, if you change your mind about that) and find them, after minor mods, quite satisfactory.

Can you please send be the link luka because I am searching this forum whole day and can't find something like that.

There are thousands of topics with dsgfdsgfdsgfdgfdgfdgdfg names and when you open it there are like 500 pages of posts.
I have feeling that this forum is really unsorted. Sorry if I offend some moderators but it is really HARD to search throe because in almost every topic there are 500 pages of posts and somewhere in the middle at page 300 they have posted schematic. There should be projects section where all working and tested projects should go.

This is bad organizations for big forums like this.
I am searching this forum for almost 3 days and still can't find some good project.

hehe, if you say it like that :D

First one was here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/93668-ir2113-blowing-help-needed.html

Second one is here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/98691-d-amp-back.html

Do read all of it, you will need all info from there
Your biggest problem will be somewhat good components and good layout... apart from this, is easy easy easy to understand and make it work

I also did one with 2092, for now only thing I will have to change (add) are gate drivers, this IC can't drive my fets

hehe, if you say it like that :D

First one was here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/93668-ir2113-blowing-help-needed.html

Second one is here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/98691-d-amp-back.html

Do read all of it, you will need all info from there
Your biggest problem will be somewhat good components and good layout... apart from this, is easy easy easy to understand and make it work

I also did one with 2092, for now only thing I will have to change (add) are gate drivers, this IC can't drive my fets

Thank you very much. I have not seen this topic and I searched thousands and browsed thousands of topics. Thanks. I'll write back about my impressions :D

Nahh I saw your page and the project you have made and:

1. I can't solder SMD and I hate soldering SMD
2. you use fabricated PCB and I make my PCBs with laser printer.

So this project is not for me.

I need something with normal size components and good PCB layout.
I can't believe it is so hard to find good DOCUMENTED Class-D project with easy to make PCB.

I am getting angry because I spend 4 days and nothing. I search internet and everything so I think that finally there is non good project with good explanation for Class-D like there is for Class-A or B or AB. I think that there are some prototypes for Class-D amplifiers for over 200W but everything that is very limited to regions. That prototypes are all builded with some unique components that are hard to find in some parts of the world.

Not everyone can make smd pcbs.
For example I have no equipment to make SMD. I need heat station that cost over 300 euro lol

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.