Coil Pile

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those of you that got tired of following the Sure 2X100 thread, here is a photo that I posted over there of all of the coils that I have listened to.
I've listened to quite a few different coils including the ever popular T106 type 2 toroids from 41Hz and the Ferroxcube toroids as found in the ClassD Audio amps (much better sounding but leak like an air core) with three different types of wire. 14ga Litz wrapped and unwrapped, 18ga solid, and Belden 14 guage solid. And other recommended favorites from Toko, Sagami, CoilCraft, ect. The Wurth XXL were tried on a tip from another member or I wouldn't even have glanced at them. They look just like what you are taking out. Luckily I am open minded. I like them by far the best. They even sound better than my Belden air toroids in many ways, have a 13 amp saturation rating and they fit right in the stock location. I will use them exclusively. There are tens of very similar looking coils and tens more of larger types but the Wurth XXL have the best sonics of the ones I have tried.
http://katalog.we-online.de/kataloge/eisos/media/pdf/7447709004.pdf

Attachments

• Coil Pile comp.jpg
    Coil Pile comp.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 950
Value

That is a whole lot of work! :D

What is the value of the Wurth used?

The Wurth is available in smaller values that none of the other manufacturer's 10 amp coils are. I have tried them in 6.8, 4.7, and 3.5uH. I like 4.7 and 3.5 with .47uf caps for each position including the zobel with 15 ohms. They are very transparent at these low values but still provide excellent suppression of the 650KHz switching wave as evaluated with an AM radio sniffing for noise. With the 3.5, careful optimization of the zobel is required to keep the peaking from coming to far down into the audio band and brightening the sound. The Sagami sounded nice too but don't offer the 10 amp coil any smaller than 10uH, and are larger than the board space.

20%

How important is tolerance? The Wurths are rated 20%.
Due to the ultra low values we are dealing with, all of the coils in this range are rated at 20%. It's very difficult to even measure down to an accuracy better than that at home with values below 10uH. The Wurth XXL coils sound the best though, regardless of whatever tolerance they are rated for. I have two amps with identical mods using them and the comparison between them is very close to the same. Too bad it seems that they may be obsolete or something as they are not in stock any more at places that used to stock them. Wurth has two newer model numbers that are similar but don't sound as good. I hope after finally finding a small format, shielded coil that I like that they aren't out of production.

discontinued

Update from digi-key regarding the coils:

Too bad :S

I wonder if you would even get the XXL if you ordered the minimum 250. Unfortunately, it seems like Wurth has "updated" the design to the newer coils such these which don't sound as good:
Digi-Key - 732-2125-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7443310390)
Digi-Key - 732-2141-1-ND (Manufacturer - 7443320330)
I tried the first style and it doesn't sound as good as the XXL. I have the second part number but haven't tried them yet as they seem to feature a very high perm core. I was really hoping to be done with listening to different coils forever but no sooner than I decided on a favorite, it fell out of production.

Wurth says the XXL WE-PD is active

Wurth says the WE-PD coils are still an active part number but I hear reports on both sides of the Atlantic having trouble finding any available. See my email from Wurth.
Hello Scott,

Thanks for your interest in our products – especially in your WE-PD “XL”.

p/n 74477004 is still an active p/n.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best Regards,

Ira Buerkert

WURTH ELECTRONICS MIDCOM INC.

East Coast Sales Office

93 Grant Street

Ramsey, NJ 07446

Phone: +1 201-661-6297*2329

Fax: +1 201-661-6298

ira.buerkert@we-online.com
Front page - Würth Elektronik :: Wrth Elektronik Holding, Front page, consultation, Circuit Board Technology, service, electronic, EMC & Inductive Solutions, high voltage, high temperature, Intelligent Connecting Systems, conductor, PCB technology,

Has anyone got both of the sure's the 2 x100 and 4x100 ? Just wondering are they just duplicating two more channels or Do I need to watch info on the 2x before it gets applied on the 4x?
I've read alot here so maybe someone will give me a list to follow ,with location and part numbers,don't mean to be a PIA just don't won't to let the smoke out,lol.
Thanks,
Thank"s Alot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.