IcePower ASP1000 - Tweaking/Mods/Upgrades

I would prefer to use the input buffer circuit as it does not color the sound if properly designed. The Lundahl 7902 is the only input transformer I have heard that sounds good with the ICEpower modules but it does give the modules a warmer, tube-like coloration in my opinion. The music seems to lose a touch of liveness. Many people like this coloration.

You would never want to use both an input buffer PCB and an input transformer at the same time.

Regards,

Dennis

Please clarify on 'yes' :). 'YES', there will be a problem if I use 385V DC into the 240V AC power input into the Icepower module, or, 'YES', i can do that without issues.

i looked at the ICEpower specs, and they only specified AC.

From what I've been told from a friend of mine the 385VDC comes from the fact that for an input voltage of 240V r.m.s (uk) for +/- 10% therefore can reach 265Vac which in terms Max. Voltage Vp = 375V, and voltage rating of the output caps should be of about 385V hence the figure 385V for the DC Output.

Hi,i use my asp1000,s with a dodd battery buffer and by changing the valve you can change the output impedence, each valve i try makes a noticable difference to the sound.A version of this buffer is used by Virtue audio on there ice powered amps.

Last edited:
Potential Group by for Balanced Input Buffers with Ingenius 1200 IC from THAT Corp.

Hey guys,

Who is interested on buying input buffers using the Ingenius 1200 input buffer?

I'm interested on buying a couple of them (maybe 5) but in order to buy them it is necessary to achieve a number of boards that justify the production.

In case any one's interested I could start a group by thread for input buffers using the Ingenius 1200 IC from THAT Corp.

Please let me know...

In that case I would have to ask ddeacon to step in and define the price for a target number of boards.

Cheers

I would prefer to use the input buffer circuit as it does not color the sound if properly designed. The Lundahl 7902 is the only input transformer I have heard that sounds good with the ICEpower modules but it does give the modules a warmer, tube-like coloration in my opinion. The music seems to lose a touch of liveness. Many people like this coloration.

You would never want to use both an input buffer PCB and an input transformer at the same time.

Regards,

Dennis

Have you tried the Lundahl 1540 ? I allready have them and consider to try. A friend of me that have close connection to B&O designers of the ICE power tells me he have never heard ICE Power without modifications that can play music.
I heard modified ASP 500 by him and I was very impressed. He told me he has changed 60 components in the circuit. Ceramic caps is not a must in Class A design. It IS possible to change them to other types without oscilations. So I just ordered 66 Silver Micas from Lituania . My plan is to exchange every ceramic that is possible to a combination of Silver Mica 10 nf. and the Vishay 1837 or maybe the Black Gate NX High Q.

He also told me the high noise in the ground plane can affect the performance of other components in the stereo.

Because of that I would like galvanic isolation at the input of my Coldamps wich is allready very good. I have allready done som other modifications.

input buffers

Tiff: I am interested in balanced to balanced input buffers for a pair of ASP 500 mono blocks I have. Would love to get the input impedance up to 50 k per phase or more. I would be in on a group buy for a small board which includes wiring for power and signal to and from the ICE module.

Tiff: I am interested in balanced to balanced input buffers for a pair of ASP 500 mono blocks I have. Would love to get the input impedance up to 50 k per phase or more. I would be in on a group buy for a small board which includes wiring for power and signal to and from the ICE module.

Great!

Anybody else of for a group buy?

I would by at least 4 inputs buffers + 2 for "barrows" makes 6.

Come on guys...

Hi All,

I just ordered some JST PH-6 connectors to fiddle around with the integrated stand-by circuit of the ASP1000.

I have made a test circuit wired point to point (according to the famous figure 16) that is working, but I am waiting for my connectors as I dont want to solder directly on the pins of the amp module.

Thinking about it I was wondering if the auxilary 12.8V supply of the amp module was "on" whilst in stand-by mode or if I would need a seperate 12V supply to trigger the BC54x in the well known fig. 16 schematic ...

I'd really appreciate to get in touch with DIYers using the 1000ASP (and other ICEpower) modules...

Cheers,

Max

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Does Anyone have the schematics of this power supply module that Bel Canto have fitted on their revision of the Ref-1000 (MKII)

309mitr.bel2.jpg

Looks like a small bank of capacitor a a few diodes....

Should this be some thing like the PFC (Power Factor Correction) PC1 from Jeff Rowland??

To me the PFC (And I'm not an Expert) sould bean AC-DC converter feeding the ASP1000 SMPS with DC (384VDC) if that correct?

Anybody can comment?

From the comments in the various reviews, it looks like this circuit is diode voltage-doubler directly rectifying the 120/240 VAC to 305-320 VDC... See comments in these reviews:

bel canto ref 500M

bel canto ref 1000

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Bel Canto Design e.One REF500M Mono Amplifiers (4/2010)

Music in the Round #35 | Stereophile.com

Anyone have more info on the circuit yet? Can anyone get their hands on one to check out?

I've got a couple pair of the EVS 1000ASP-based and think that'd make a nice, not-to-hard to implement upgrade (as long as one was careful while working on it!).

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. BTW, at 300-320VDC, those two added caps don't have to be very large in value to provide the '400+ joules' of added energy storage! Something just under 100uf total should do it.

Last edited: