diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   Arjen_Helder TA2020 Hookup Diagam Needed (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/162634-arjen_helder-ta2020-hookup-diagam-needed.html)

IndridCold37 5th March 2010 07:48 PM

Arjen_Helder TA2020 Hookup Diagam Needed

Does Anyone have a hookup diagram for the Arjen_Helder TA2020 Mark III amp on ebay? I bought one of these about a 5 weeks ago, have had it for 3 weeks now, but can't test or use it because there was no pin-out list or hookup diagram sent with it. Emailing Mr Helder through ebay has produced no results so far. I'm beginning to think that I've thrown away $46 USA. Can anyone please send me how they have hooked up their amp, or post a link to enough information so that I can save this situation.
For the life of me, I can't understand why he doesn't include instructions with the amp, or send some info when requested. Is the company going out of business ?

Obe1 5th March 2010 11:20 PM

Hi IndridCold37,

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I ordered the older MK2 version a couple days ago, and had some unanswered questions myself.

For what it's worth, I did find a post (#177) on this thread that shows how one fellow build his MK3 in a cigar box (see this photo). As I study the photo, here's my assumptions about how to hook this MK3 board up:

1) On the left side of the board are a pair of blue, screw type, terminal blocks for your speaker connections.

2) In the upper left hand corner is a white, 2-pin, Molex style connector with a red and black wire. These look like the DC power connections (red for DC+ and black for DC common). In this particular build, the wires run to a user supplied connector on the wall of the cigar box (bottom of photo), as the DC power supply is mounted externally (see thread for other photos of the power supply).

3) On the upper right side is white, 3-pin, Molex style connector with a red, yellow and black wire. These appear to be your left & right audio signal input connections. I'll assume that black is signal common, while red and yellow are for left(+) and right(+), yet I can't tell which color is left and which is right. Hopefully the board has some markings.

In this fellows build, these three wires go up to a volume potentiometer. From the volume pot, more wires go over to a three position selector switch and from this switch a bunch of purple wires go to RCA type input jacks.

4) Also on the upper right hand side are a pair of white, 2-pin, Molex style connectors. It looks like these are for hooking up the LED indicator lamps mentioned in the products eBay listing.

Good luck and best regards,

Obe1

mfong 5th March 2010 11:25 PM

hookup

My skills with this sort of stuff are very basic, but I've hooked up 3 of those boards. The board should have come with a set of connectors in a plastic bag, all of which are marked on the board in English. e.g. it says speaker out, input, LED, and DC in (or something like that). One of the nice things for klutzes like me is that you don't have to do any soldering to the board.

the inputs (connector with 3 wires) go to a pair of RCA's or whatever connector you're using. You solder the yellow and the red to the + or hot part of the RCA connectors. You solder the black to a common ground between the two RCA connectors.

The speaker out terminals at the end of the board go to the positive and negative of each speaker. (4 screw terminals) you can go directly to the speaker from these, but you'll probably want to use speaker jacks.

The 2 wire connector is for the power which can come from any single-ended 12-14 volt source, battery, switch mode power supply, car cigarette lighter jack, or regulated linear power supply. You likely will want to wire a switch in between the power source and the board. Use red for the hot or + end and black for -
I actually recently bought a 10 AA battery pack off Ebay for nimh batteries (I know it's not a popular choice for audio but lead acid scares me) and I've been pretty impressed with the sound (batteries always seem to make audio stuff sound quieter and smoother). It's hard to get simpler than that for a power supply too.

the leds go through the two holes in the led connectors...They're the smallest ones and should be easy to identify.

The connectors shouldn't take more than 10 minutes if that. Soldering the connectors to the various jacks might take a little longer. The thing that's the most difficult tends to be physically arranging it and securing it in a case to maximize stability and minimize wires crossing and possibly touching. If you have a metal case, you may want to run a ground wire to the case.

If this doesn't work, just e-mail me and I can maybe talk you through the process on the phone or something. You definitely don't need a wiring diagram to do a basic hookup. Modifying it, yes, but it's basically idiot proof and I'm the proof of that.

borninthefifties 6th March 2010 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IndridCold37 (Post 2108537)
Does Anyone have a hookup diagram for the Arjen_Helder TA2020 Mark III amp on ebay? I bought one of these about a 5 weeks ago, have had it for 3 weeks now, but can't test or use it because there was no pin-out list or hookup diagram sent with it. Emailing Mr Helder through ebay has produced no results so far. I'm beginning to think that I've thrown away $46 USA. Can anyone please send me how they have hooked up their amp, or post a link to enough information so that I can save this situation.
For the life of me, I can't understand why he doesn't include instructions with the amp, or send some info when requested. Is the company going out of business ?

Hi, Arjen is normally pretty good at answering any queries via email.
Attached is a PDF he sent verifying the connections for the Mk III board.

Hope it helps.
BITF

mfong 7th March 2010 03:12 AM

I know that Arjen got married recently and it's been New Year's. He's always been very good at getting back to me too, though I swear the hookup really is very straightforward.

IndridCold37 8th March 2010 05:18 AM

Thank you all

Thanks for everyone's help. With the walk-through and .pdf file, I was able to finally see how to hook the board up. I have it powered on, and working. Its running a pair of home made 2 Pi tower speakers ( design by Wayne Parham ) which are ~ 95db and play quite loudly. You guys really came through !