Helder MKII TA2020 Amp PSU Wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I just purchased one of Arjen Helder's MKII TA2020 amplifiers and the associated DC power supply. Arjen includes a SPST power switch with an internal LED. I assume this switch is to control DC power into the amplifier board, so I think it makes sense to add my own power switch to the AC mains as well (ahead of the PSU). In fact, I'm not sure why I need Arjen's power switch at all, if I provide my own power switch on the AC mains.

The attached sketch is my attempt to guess how the power circuit should look. Any feedback or suggestions on how best to wire-up one of Arjen's amplifiers is most welcome.

Best regards,

Obe1

Attachments

• TA2020_PSU_Wiring_v102.jpg
    TA2020_PSU_Wiring_v102.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 881
resistor

Don't forget that you will need a resistor on the LED! The value varies a bit depending on the LED colour, forward current and typical voltage.
Resistor value = source voltage - LED operating voltage / by the LED forward current.
eg. 12 - 2.1 = 9.9 / by 30 = .33 or 330 Ohms

Hi onis,

It took several days, but I just got an email back from Arjen that my connection digram would work. Unfortunatly, he didn't offer any thoughts on how to make it better. I guess I'll just have to wait for the goods to arrive from China and then play around a bit.

Thanks and take care,

Obe1

Hi audi0,

Well, if you read my original post, I had the exact same question. On one hand just switching the AC on & off seems adequate, yet Arjen went to the trouble of including a DC switch, so maybe it has some value. Perhaps it helps minimize "thumping" your speakers during power ups or downs.

Thanks,

Obe1

The amplifier and power supply I ordered from Arjen (just 2 weeks ago) arrived yesterday. I ran some tests on the illuminated rocker switch and discovered that the lamp is a neon bulb and not an LED as illustrated in my sketch in post #1. As such, this lamp will need a lot more than 12Vdc to illuminate and so this switch is better suited for control & indication of AC mains power.

The amplifier and power supply I ordered from Arjen (just 2 weeks ago) arrived yesterday. I ran some tests on the illuminated rocker switch and discovered that the lamp is a neon bulb and not an LED as illustrated in my sketch in post #1. As such, this lamp will need a lot more than 12Vdc to illuminate and so this switch is better suited for control & indication of AC mains power.

realize this is an old thread, I have the same board and considering it putting it all together.

How does it sound?, any difficulties in getting it all connected?, will likely add pot/volume and 2 way RCA input selector.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.