T-Amp, switching input and preamping phono the easy way - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default T-Amp, switching input and preamping phono the easy way

Hi all!
Iīm new here. Since my old amp died a few weeks ago I have been looking around for something new and interesting. a lot of old UK amps have been in my sight but suddenly I stumbled on these small T-amps everywhere and the lots of you seem to have them close to your heart.
Have been thinking about grabbing Arjenīs
MKll Version Tripath TA2020 PCB 25w CLass-T amplifier.

But now I am a little bit confused how you use these amps when there is no channel switches. The thing is that I also would like to hook my turntable to it. Wich means that I have to grab somekind of preamp I suppose.
I would like to use CD-player, TV, turntable and computer.
After all this googling and surfing I just donīt get any decent information on what is happening behind this little amp.

TCC TC-754 - line-level preamp + MM phono stage seem to be one solution but then again I use a MC and I havenīt heard any reviews on it.

Could you please tell me how you do it? Do you switch cables all the time or do you have it connected with just one player and happy with that? Or do you maybe use somekind of rca switches?

And by the way, is T-amp and recordplayer(vinyl) a big No No? or why canīt I find any information on that?

thank you.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

In reply to some of your queries;
Yes you will most definitely require a preamp if you are going to use either MM or MC magnetic source.
Yes you could swap cables, on the other hand you could build yourself a simple passive preamp using a two pole rotary switch and a potentiometer to control gain. A good article about gain controls is here: ESP - A Better Volume Control
Old 9th March 2010, 06:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi again!
Well now it seems that I have found what I was looking for. It is called Audio input selector or Audio input switch.

On Headfi.org there is a thread on this subject.
with pics and links.
Analog Audio source selector?

Then I have looked at different cheapo phono stage pre-amps, the McLelland MQ-S35 Phono Preamplifier seems OK. Any other suggestions?

Hide this!Advertise here!