Hypex DS4.0 - XLR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I've search on this forum information regarding my little issue but I haven't found it so far so here it goes.

I'm planing on using a Plate amp from Hypex (DS4.0) for use with my Peerless XXLS 830845 but I wanted it to be XLR ready in a true balanced configuration.

I saw that they have the DS8.0 with a XLR connection, but I think it would be a waste of money since I think for this speaker the DS4.0 would work fine IMHO.

By the specs it looks like the DS4.0 is based on Hypex's UcD400, and if so, it should be a true balanced configuration in differential mode correct?

So if this is true, it should be possible for me to fit a XLR connector on the plate's amp and wire it to it's input connections on the board. Wright?

If all of this is true, then why to they have a switch on the DS8.0 to choose Between RCA and XLR? It shouldn't be necessary unless it's there to avoid static being induced on it's input.

Am I completely wrong?

Thank You Kindly

No transformer

Does anyone know if this module uses a trafo os a smps?
Hi,
You are right to say that the UcD400 has a fully balanced input, but in front there is a the complete filter board, which works in unbalanced mode. In the case of the DS8.0, the balanced input is converted to unbalanced (electronically), and at its output stage again converted into balanced. Quality wise it's OK, it's "only" a subwoofer amp.
You can surely find a schematic to convert from unbalanced to balanced. You can use a transformer, but it would be more expensive than a converter.

Also, no need for a power supply, find the +/-12 to +/-15 volts on the board to power your converter.

Cheers,
-dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.