Cheap Ta2022 choice: Poppulse T150i vs Hlly 90

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had the Hlly t90 version 2 for several months now. My one major issue with the amp is that it has been unusually sensitive and goes into shutdown or fault unexpectedly. Sonically, it's very good though it's a "darker" sound than the t2020 or t2024. It's definitely not a t2020 with more power.
I haven't seen or heard the Pop Pulse, but gather that it's very similar to the Hlly down to early versions of the amps having similar issues..
btw, my t90 has no noise issues.

What I do find is that virtually every reference to the t2022 says that it's a difficult chip to work with. For one, it takes a dual-ended 30 volt power supply where the t2500/2000 combination with a similar power rating takes a single-ended power supply. Hlly's initial problems in getting the t-90 right suggest that it's tricky to work with the 2022. Their build quality is really pretty good all in all, so I don't think it's bad workmanship. Because of the "fault" issue, (I had to look at Hlly data sheets to mitigate it some), I don't dare modify the Hlly and it seems that very few people here have ever experimented much with the 2022. I also noticed a couple other companies had promised amps based on the 2022 then never delivered a product which suggests that it was hard to get right.

Someone mentioned that Dayton has a 2500-based amp out and were I to do this over I might have tried the Virtue Audio amp. I notice that there seem to be very few complaints about the 2500-based amps other than some issues with the heatsink/fan implementation on the Sure audio board that sells for 39 dollars.

I''ve ordered one of the Sure 2500 based boards, so I'll be able to say something about how they sound stock vs. the 2022 soon.

For the money, the Hlly sounds really good btw and I may just have bad AC in my house, though nothing else fails. I have a t-2020 amp that I built from one of Arjen Helder's boards (no mods). I go back and forth between the 2022 and the 2020 a lot. There are a lot of days where I actually prefer the 2020 for its clarity, but I think that's more a tribute to the bang for the buck of the t-2020 than it's a knock on the 2022.

I do think the 2500 is probably the safer route than a 2022 based amp. They produce virtually identical power to the 2022 and reading between the lines they may sound a bit better with better reliability.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.